Author Topic: Marriage licence 1800  (Read 817 times)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Marriage licence 1800
« on: Tuesday 24 January 17 20:19 GMT (UK) »
While having another poke at the National Library of Wales, I came across the marriage licence for my 4th Great Grandparents, Theophilus JONES and Ann LEWIS, both of "Meidrum" (the spelling probably being why I didn't see it before...) Aug 1800.

I have potential parents for both Theophilus and Ann but as a matter of strengthening those connections, ironing out some wrinkles and simply because it is available, I was hoping to obtain that licence in case it mentions fathers or any identifying information at all.

I'm over the other end of the UK from Wales so I can't go and see the document in person. Before I spend money ordering it, I wanted to ask:

1) What information is it likely to contain?
2) Are there any other resources through which it can be viewed?

Thanks
Ayashi

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage licence 1800
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 20:45 GMT (UK) »
the bonds can be viewed at the NLW or they can supply you with a copy

https://www.llgc.org.uk/en/services/enquiries/nlw-enquiries/

The info included, according to the website, is on this link. There may be another family member mentioned, but not necessarily the father.

https://www.llgc.org.uk/en/information-for/family-historians/records/church-in-wales-records/

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. I assume from your reply to my initial question about the NLW that they can ONLY be found via the NLW? As aforesaid, I can't travel there and was wondering if there were alternatives before spending the money. Now I know so I guess it goes on the list.

Thanks.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 09:42 GMT (UK) »
yes, that's where the bonds are, no-one else has them.

It's a while since I ordered anything from them, but it wasn't expensive last time I did. There is a list on the NLW site of approved researchers who could check it for you, but I suspect a copy would work out to be cheaper.

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 15:38 GMT (UK) »
FreeREG has the Marriage and just has Bachelor/Spinster, probably what you have already.

Do you have his Burial?
4 Dec 1824, Parish Church, Meidrim, age 58 (birth c 1766)
Abode Village

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. Yes, I have the marriage and the burial.

This particular line poses something of a problem. It all adds up... until you get to the occupations. I know that my ancestor Walter's father was Theophilus (thankfully Walter married a second time and has a cert) and there is, quite handily, this one Theophilus right where he's supposed to be with a son named Walter in a not unreasonable date (Walter being somewhat infamous in my family tree as the person with the widest range of birth years!!)

I can only find one christening for a Walter, in the right time and place. I can only find one christening, one marriage and one death for a Theophilus in the right time and place. Nevertheless, still a bit iffy because of Theo's apparent employment history... That and the fact "it's the only one I can find" grates me when it comes to proving a line, I want as many entanglements as possible.

So I'm scrabbling around for any possible thing that can add weight to it or else pull it apart completely. The licence obviously won't help my bond between Walter and Theophilus but may add something to the bond between Theophilus and his father William.

Ayashi