Author Topic: Family tree maker replacement software  (Read 1024 times)

Offline barkbythorpe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family tree maker replacement software
« on: Wednesday 25 January 17 06:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Have just joined the forum
I have used Ancestrys Family tree maker 2014 software and its predisessor to research my Family Tree for several years now. As you will know changes are taking place there and am interested in transferiing my research to other software.
Can anyone recommend any FREE software that will accept the transfer of information, media, notes etc from Family Tree Maker. Am I right in assuming a GEDCOM doesn't include media, documents etc?
 I know Ancestry have their own recommendations but all seem to require payment or subscription.
Any comments/views gratefully received
Many thanks

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family tree maker replacement software
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat! ;D

FTM is continuing, but under a different company.

So, why change?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

I agree with KG, I've used FamilyTree Maker for years and haven't noticed any difference since it was taken over, it still syncs with Ancestry and recently updated. I certainly won't be changing and risking losing all the things I have on there, especially the photos and census details, as I understand it, a Gedcom won't copy those.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline barkbythorpe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 09:46 GMT (UK) »
OK, Many thanks
Will await the FAMILY TREE MAKER UPDATES from the new owner and carry on as before?
Wasn't clear as to whether it was being discontinued at some point in the near future?
Regards

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 09:55 GMT (UK) »
It certainly isn't being discontinued, in fact I think that Mackiev have plans to improve it. They have developed the Mac edition of Family TreeMaker for over 6 years, so aren't new to the product. If I were you, I'd back up your tree onto a Gedcom anyway, but continue with FamilyTree Maker if you've been happy with it.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 10:46 GMT (UK) »
If you're in the UK make sure you've re-registered though, and its also worth signing up for the regular updates (go to FAQ at the bottom and one of the Q&As gives a link to do both)

http://www.mackiev.com/ftm/

They are currently rolling out the new version - FTM2014.1 - which I installed a couple of weeks ago with no problems.  There are no major changes but it's a little bit faster and the logo is different.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline barkbythorpe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 11:37 GMT (UK) »
OK
Thanks for the updates
Am very happy with FTM and have requested the new update today so shall await its arrival and continue its use
Your help very much appreciated
Regards