Author Topic: Frances Thurtle JAMIESON  (Read 8359 times)

Offline Ozebeaver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Frances Thurtle JAMIESON
« on: Tuesday 26 July 05 16:15 BST (UK) »
Can someone give me some guidance for finding a baptism of my 3 x gr grandmother Frances Thurtle JAMIESON born abt 1826 Isle of Bute.  Frances arrived in South Australia aboard the ship The Brothers in Feb 1850 and on the same ship was a James Jamieson wife and 4 children. 

On 6 out of 7 birth certificates of her boys Frances cited Bute as her birthplace.  The other birth certificate stated Glasgow.  I have been unsuccessful in a search for her birth on the parish films for Bute.  Can anyone suggest where else to look?  I have also looked at the 1841 census for the whole of Bute and failed to find her.  Unfortunately the shipping list has not survived for her voyage and the above information was gleaned from newspaper reports.

Many thanks
Liz Dolan

Offline rosenwax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Frances Thurtle JAMIESON
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 August 05 08:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz,
Frances is my best friend's ancestor and I have done as much as I could so far some years ago.  My friend has been to the Isle of Bute during an overseas trip, and her younger sister has also done some research. 
Like you, I tried the census microfilms at the AIGS library here in Melbourne with no success at all. While pottering on the net today (I have a day off work) I found another Frances Thurtle (her maiden name) who married a Jamieson.  The time period would be right for her to have been an aunt (or perhaps Frances' mother), but of course there may be no connection at all.  This latter Frances was quite a prolific author in the 1820's and appears to have been born in England.  I wondered if perhaps she travelled to Scotland and met her husband there.  Of course it's all speculation. 
If you would like more information, I'm very happy to share what we have.
Regards,
Judy

Offline Ozebeaver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 August 05 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Judy,

I have been aware for some time about Frances Jamieson late Miss Thurtle, the author.
She seems to have been writing between 1817 and 1827 but from encyclopeadia information
was around up to 1855. 

I would like to know of any connection to the James Jamieson and family who were on board the Brothers.
Maybe a brother or even her parents???

Which son does your friend come down through?

Regards
Liz

Offline rosenwax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 August 05 05:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz,
You sent me rushing off to my file on my friend's family to check her line from Frances, though I think I've handed over a lot of info and have just kept copies of the certificates I paid for myself.  I have the birth certificate in Melbourne in 1854 of Alexander, son of Thomas Robertson and Frances.  Their daughter Sarah Ann was my friend's grandmother.  I remember her when I was a child as a shadowy bedridden figure, but can't picture what she looked like then, though a photo is in my girlfriend's front hallway.
Best regards,
Judy

Offline Ozebeaver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 August 05 09:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Judy,

Thanks for the offer of Alexander's christening certificate.  I have actually bought all of the boys births and deaths certificates along with their respective marriages.

I have Sarah Ann marrying Albert Claverino and having two children, Alex and Aileen.
I have also been in contact with another researcher from Alexander who is descended through Richard Thomas and Jane Maud Copley.

I have been having great difficulty in retrieving any information on this Frances Thurtle the author.  Do you have any ideas of the James Jamieson and Family who were on board the brothers with Frances? 

If you would like to email me * I could include some further details of my gr grandfather William Thomas and family. 

Cheers
Liz
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline aalphart

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 00:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm currently a student in university. I have been assigned a research project: to find as much information about Frances Thurtle Jamieson (the author, wife of Alexander Jamieson) as possible. Reading these discussions, I have seen that you are both related in some way to her, or know people who are.
Would you mind sharing what you know about her with me? I'd be particularly grateful if you had any certificates or census information or pictures of her that you could share with me as an image. If possible, I would like if you could suggest somewhere where I might find information about her.
If you are not able to do so, that is fine too. I understand that you are probably busy and that searching for these documents, if you have these, would probably be a hassle.

Thank you very much.