Author Topic: Lowes and Clough - feeling as if there is a hole in history  (Read 2908 times)

Offline Duncan Lowes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lowes and Clough - feeling as if there is a hole in history
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks everyone. I know its quite possible. There are just a few lose ends and inconsistencies to confirm it. I am currently filling out as much as I can of the other Lowes families in the different areas in order to check. My biggest problem is what happened to Esther and if she is the same Esther as the 1851 census in Tanfield. In which case there is a Lowes Tanfield link, another John Lowes who I have baptism record from Tanfield (married to Dorothy), along with the incosnsitencies in birthdates and places. I know the 1841 census was often a bit inaccurate. If I can commplete the picture with Tanfield Lowes', Hedleys and Taylors it will confirm everything. I'm still hopefull of finding some birth records from Leeds

thanks all
Duncan

Thanks William

So that confirms they are all a different family really, since my 1851 family was John (born Leeds) and Eleanor (born Denton Burn, Northumberland). So I can rule out the Hedley parents too

So I'm still looking for my 1841 record

I will keep looking Thanks for the help

regards Duncan

The baptism record for John Lowes in Tanfield 1805 Parents Robert Hedley and Eleanor Hedley gives the abode as Lintzford.

The 1851 Census has the following entry in Trimdon, co. Durham

John Lowes 45  Head mar Coalminer Born Durham Linsford
Dorothy Lowes 39 Wife
Dorothy Lowes 8 Daughter
Robt Hedley Lowes 6 Son
Ellen Lowes 7 months Daughter

Linzford and Linsford looks pretty similiar to me.

William

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Apologies - I have just realised that I made a typo on a previous post. John Lowes b Tanfield 1805 was the son of Robert Lowes and Eleanor Hedley.

This is the full entry from the Bt's

John Lowes born Jan 22  Lintz Ford bap Feb 17 4th son of Robert Lowes paper maker Native of Branspeth by his wife Eleanor Hedley native of Durham.

2 younger siblings to this couple are Hedley Lowes 1 Sept 1809 and Ann 23 Dec 1811 St Margaret's Durham. (Probably also Mary 9 July 1807 Durham St Margaret's).

Again it perhaps shows that we can all interpret documents in different ways. I simply cannot see a long term connection with Tanfield regarding the Lowes or Taylors (or the Hedleys for that matter).

As I indicated in a previous post I think the only way to be "sure" is by means of certificates, the birth cert for Esther Lowes being the most obvious one to obtain. Given that the last sighting of Esther is in the 1851 census (there is neither an obvious entry in the 1861 census nor a marriage for her between 1851 and 1861 census) the death I highlighted in Gateshead RD may well be her. The parish record shows a burial 14 Dec 1859 Heworth with an estimated birth year of 1839 (birth reg was in the Oct - Dec quarter of 1839).

Good luck with your search

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Duncan Lowes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 16 February 17 07:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your help William

Yes the Tanfield link is hard although there are a few records for different Lowes families in that area.

Hoping to find both the Esther information and hopefully one day John's birth from Leeds will show up on a record. Or next time I'm in England I will try to track them down

I will keep looking. I'm having a mini-break as I find I can only do this in short bursts - ends up becoming a time sink for me

Maybe chat again another time

thanks Duncan

Apologies - I have just realised that I made a typo on a previous post. John Lowes b Tanfield 1805 was the son of Robert Lowes and Eleanor Hedley.

This is the full entry from the Bt's

John Lowes born Jan 22  Lintz Ford bap Feb 17 4th son of Robert Lowes paper maker Native of Branspeth by his wife Eleanor Hedley native of Durham.

2 younger siblings to this couple are Hedley Lowes 1 Sept 1809 and Ann 23 Dec 1811 St Margaret's Durham. (Probably also Mary 9 July 1807 Durham St Margaret's).

Again it perhaps shows that we can all interpret documents in different ways. I simply cannot see a long term connection with Tanfield regarding the Lowes or Taylors (or the Hedleys for that matter).

As I indicated in a previous post I think the only way to be "sure" is by means of certificates, the birth cert for Esther Lowes being the most obvious one to obtain. Given that the last sighting of Esther is in the 1851 census (there is neither an obvious entry in the 1861 census nor a marriage for her between 1851 and 1861 census) the death I highlighted in Gateshead RD may well be her. The parish record shows a burial 14 Dec 1859 Heworth with an estimated birth year of 1839 (birth reg was in the Oct - Dec quarter of 1839).

Good luck with your search

William