Author Topic: Lucy Leigh Brocklehurst 1787- May 1866  (Read 6473 times)

Offline harewood

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lucy Leigh Brocklehurst 1787- May 1866
« on: Thursday 26 January 17 12:01 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out where the Brocklehurst part of this comes from. I know she was married in August 1805 in Prestbury to Samuel Dale where it says her name is Lucy Brocklehurst. But records show she was the daughter of Lord Leigh and the Countess Beaugarde.  A number of people on Ancestry refer to Lucy Leigh Brocklehurst so it must be correct. Can anybody help?
Martin Dale

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lucy Leigh Brocklehurst 1787- May 1866
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 January 17 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Lord Leigh i.e. Edward Leigh, 5th. Baron Leigh, did indeed die in 1786 but according to records he died unmarried and without heirs??

If Lucy was indeed his daughter, then she must have been born 'the wrong side of the blanket' which could explain where 'Brocklehurst' came from i.e. her mother.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 January 17 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Just looked at banns/marriage record and Lucy Brocklehurst 'made her mark' so certainly doesn't sound like a 'well-born' lady.

The information on Ancestry has been submitted by 'members' and not from 'facts'.   Indeed, I can find nothing to substantiate the information at all.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline harewood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 January 17 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Curiouser and curiouser. Too add to the mystery three of her sons have Leigh as a second Christian name and some records show that she had a sister called Mary Leigh. Very murky

Offline Junabee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 February 17 06:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello Martin,
I am the great-great granddaughter of Martha Dale born 1821 to Samuel Dale, Silk Manufacturer and Lucy Brocklehurst in Macclesfield, Cheshire. Martha married William Hamson, manager of Silk Spinning Mill in Commercial Rd, Macclesfield and they immigrated to Brisbane, Australia in 1865. Lucy Brocklehurst was not educated as she signed her 1805 with an X mark. I have a copy of this document. Her parents names were not given and the 1841 census notes she was "not born in Cheshire." The 1851 census records Lucy 68, living in Hulme, Manchester and born in Birmingham, Warwickshire! No birth record has been found. Lucy died 12 May 1866 in Heaton Norris, Manchester aged 80, of old age. 
Various accounts of connections with nobility and the Leigh family of Stoneleigh in England have been passed down through the generations by Hamson family members.  My grandmother told her daughters that a female ancestor had entertained Queen Victoria.  Quite a bit of detailed research has found no conclusive evidence about these stories, though Queen Victoria was indeed a guest at Stoneleigh Manor in 1858 but that's too late for Lucy.  I have Samuel Dale born 1783 Astbury, Chesh to William Dale and Phoebe Delves. 
Martha (Dale) & William Hamson were considered "middle-class" in Australia and named their house "Stonleigh" !!  You can contact me by email at jvee@powerup.com.au
Regards, June (Cochrane) Vickers.

Offline Junabee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 February 17 06:41 GMT (UK) »
More about Lucy Brocklehurst. IGI Baptism found by Birmingham & Midland Gen Soc for a Lucy BROCKHURST, Christened 14 May 1781, dau of William and Ann, in St. Matthews church, Walsall, Stafford (now part of Birmingham). 
There is no proof that this is my 3xgreat grandmother Lucy Brocklehurst Dale.
William and Ann Brocklehurst had 11 other children 1776- James; 1777- Ann; 1778-Sarah; 1779-Henry; 1783- William; 1786 - Ellizabeth;  1788 -Mary;  1789- William;  1792- Maria;  1794  Twins Joseph & Benjamin;  1796- Charlotte.

Offline Junabee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 February 17 06:48 GMT (UK) »
Martin Dale,
You have written, ..."But records show she was the daughter of Lord Leigh and the Countess Beaugarde."  Are they documented records or something someone has put on their family tree? 
I would not be surprised to find that Lucy Brocklehurst circa 1786-1866 was an illegitimate daughter of one of the Leigh nobility but we need more proof.   

Offline harewood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 February 17 10:21 GMT (UK) »
hi,

this is fantastic stuff! i'll get my head around its implications and email you!

are you on Ancestry? if so let me know and we can swap trees

Best wishes,

Martin Dale

Offline Junabee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 February 17 11:39 GMT (UK) »
No Martin, I no longer subscribe to Ancestry, and they won't let me see other trees without an invitation but you can find my old tree which is called HAMSON-DALE.  If you email your user name I can send you an invite, but there are no photos or stories recorded. I can send more info by email if you like and a Gedcom eventually.  I don't even have a photo of my 2xgreat grandparents Martha & William, but I have info about their life in Australia and Cheshire.
Cheers, June