Author Topic: Need help finding Charles Joseph Sargent possibly born in Ireland  (Read 4872 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Need help finding Charles Joseph Sargent possibly born in Ireland
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 28 January 17 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Going back to the William Augustus Sargent of the Army records having been discharged in 1869 and saying he would be residing in Stepney, London, have you researched this birth of a William Augustus Sargent in Mile End Old Town (which I believe was part of Stepney), London in 1893 in case of any links back to the 'army' William?:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2F9K-NZB
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Alexandra195

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 28 January 17 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Hey everyone, I'm overwhelmed with the help so thank you. Your ideas give me a lot to research and think about that I hadn't before :)

Also, what records/when Charles used each version of his name?

In his marriage certificate and all electoral rolls he used Charles Joseph Sargent so from 1924-1953. I only discovered the second name when I ordered his full death certificate. This seems to be the only mention of the name, I have a feeling it could be his birth name and he changed it to Charles. There was a William Joseph Sargent born in South Dublin in 1886 but it's only a text record (Irish Birth Index) and I'm unsure of how to proceed in finding more information about this.

Going back to the William Augustus Sargent of the Army records having been discharged in 1869 and saying he would be residing in Stepney, London, have you researched this birth of a William Augustus Sargent in Mile End Old Town (which I believe was part of Stepney), London in 1893 in case of any links back to the 'army' William?:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2F9K-NZB

I haven't seen this before but thank you. I will definitely get researching this.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 29 January 17 02:44 GMT (UK) »
It is easy to misread handwritten certificates. It would be very useful to post a scan or photo of the marriage cert saying "Assistant director, RCSI."
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 29 January 17 02:48 GMT (UK) »
William Joseph 1886
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1886/02615/1965621.pdf
Father William, a porter.

I find this thread a bit confusing. Has it been pointed out that the father on this birth cert is consistent with the army records, and also with the following 1900 death cert in Dublin, for William Sargent, aged 67, Army pensioner and porter.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1900/05762/4628115.pdf
So he is obviously not going to appear in the 1901 or 1911 census.

My guess is that the 1886 birth is your man, and the 1900 death is that of his father. My further guess is that the "Assistant Director RCSI" is either a misreading, or a classic piece of social promotion.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 29 January 17 03:45 GMT (UK) »

The only other evidence that links the army records is he was in the ‘Royal Army Medical Corps’ for 9 years.

I presume you are just being anachronistic here? The RAMC was only created in 1898, so a soldier discharged in the 1860s could not have served in this corps.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 29 January 17 09:00 GMT (UK) »

The only other evidence that links the army records is he was in the ‘Royal Army Medical Corps’ for 9 years.

I presume you are just being anachronistic here? The RAMC was only created in 1898, so a soldier discharged in the 1860s could not have served in this corps.

Army Hospital Corps - that perhaps did give the man some experience to work within a medical environment but perhaps he may have enhanced his position - director/porter . :-\
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 29 January 17 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 29 January 17 09:37 GMT (UK) »
This could be Charles with his mother Mary in 1901

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Fitzwilliam/Charlemont_Avenue/1305737/

Note that they are in the same street (Charlemont) as given on the 1900 death cert for William Sargent.  So, these do seem to be William's widow and children.
I also think this says that my guess is right!