Author Topic: Catherine Condron Convict on Caroline 1833  (Read 4870 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Condron Convict on Caroline 1833
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 03:37 GMT (UK) »
The General Muster of 1837 was not a physical muster of people but a paperwork exercise by the Administrative staff using the 1836 NSW Census info. 

http://members.iinet.net.au/~perthdps/convicts/census.html

General Muster of Convicts in New South Wales and Norfolk Island - 1837
 The original title indicates a date of 31 December 1837. However, unlike earlier musters, it is not the product of mustering people at various places over a month or so. It is a wholly clerical reconstruction, based on the 1836 census (which does not survive), updated for new arrivals through 1837. ......
 Published as "General Return of Convicts in New South Wales, 1837", Australian Biographical and Genealogical Record, Sydney, 1987, ISBN 0 949032 04 2.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 05:43 GMT (UK) »
If you don't already have this you may be interested in a short report of the trial of William NORTH at Salisbury, March, 1824 in the The Hampshire Chronicle, etc (Hampshire, England), Monday, March 22, 1824

At the Crown Court Salisbury..
Spring Assizes commenced last Monday.
Sentence of death was passed on the following prisoners, all of whom were reprieved before the Judges left for Dorchester.
Among a list of criminals are:

William NORTH and George BRISTOL, for stealing two horses the property of Ann MICHELL at Mapperton, Somerset; and also for breaking open the dwelling-house of John DIMMOCK at Norton-under-Ham, Somerset and stealing divers articles. 

Others who were found guilty at the same assizes were also aboard the Asia, including George BRISTOL who was charged with William.
They were held on the hulk Leviathan at Portsmouth before transportation.  William is listed as aged 20 and George aged 17

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline margill68

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank You for the info on William North.  I have sent for the transcription of the marriage of William North and Susannah Dixon 1854 in the hope it may throw some light on their status. It will take a couple of weeks.

This website Susannah Emmerson-Convict- Old Bailey 10th Anniversary also has Susannah Dixon married to William North in 1854 at Collector.  State Records don't seem to have any info for Susannah or ship Diana 1833.

It is a pity about the musters. 

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 09:04 GMT (UK) »
The Old Bailey site also has an account of the trial.
https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t18320906-307&div=t18320906-307&terms=emmerson#highlight

Susannah had been living with Mrs Hunt (the lady she stole from) in Petticoat Lane for "two years altogether".

There are mentions of Susannah on various NSW convict records and the England and Wales Criminal Register but there is no informationon  other than what has already been posted.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline margill68

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 10 February 17 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have received the MC for William North and Susannah Dixon
201V41B
Church of England
Collector
Parish of Lake George
County Argyle
11 Sept 1854
William North Status Widower
Susannah Dixon Status Widow signed with her mark

I do think that the 1847 Inquest for Catherine North is the death I was looking for.
As for Visitation of God I think I will go for sudden and unexplained death.  She was a young woman in her thirties.

Thanks for all the help

Offline margill68

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 February 17 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi again
This time I have a question about William North and Catherine C children.
I have been able to find marriages and deaths for Maria, Sarah, Jane and William Nathaniel but can not find anything about Mary North 2570/1837V18372570 127.

Could the baptisms for Mary North and Maria North 2498/1837V18372498 128 be the same baptism in different registers?

It maybe a silly question but I would like another opinion
regards

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 16 February 17 23:43 GMT (UK) »
It is not a silly question.    Yes, it is quite possible that the NSW BDM's Early Church Records holds more than one entry for the same event, particularly if the ceremony was not conducted in Sydney.    Back in 1810s, the then governor of NSW (Macquarie) issued General Orders so that the clergy were to transmit details of their Baptisms, Burials, Marriages to the NSW Chaplains.  This was basically so that the civil administration in NSW could report to the civil admin in London to gain funding from London.   That 'registration' system continued until NSWBDM was established (1856), although not all clergy obeyed the requirement as they were not provided with the funds to transmit these quarterly returns. 

There's instances where a bdm event may have been transmitted from the original circuit clergyman, to the local parish, and then on to Sydney.  That would require a separate entry in each of those registers (1 clergy, 2 local parish, 3 Sydney).   Some bdm events have five extant entries, while sadly, other bdm events have none.

Mary v Maria - these can be the same name.

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/births-deaths-and-marriages-guide
and
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/births-deaths-and-marriages-registers-1787-1856

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline margill68

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 17 February 17 01:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank You
I appreciate your information

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 17 February 17 05:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

While I was at the Qld State Library today I quickly had a look at the marriage documents for William North on the NSW Church Microfilms.

The information from Williams second marriage in 1854 has been posted earlier and my transcription details from the first marriage in 1834 are.

County of Camden (No Parish named)
No 70
William North, Bach' (ToL) of Goulburn Plains.
Catherine Condron, Spinster of the same place.
Married in this Chapel, by Banns with the consent of the Government on 2nd May 1834.
By, John Vincent, Chaplain.

Wm Abram North
Catherine (her mark) Condron

In the presence of Thomas (his mark) Lee of Sutton Forrest and another person also of Sutton Forrest but it is difficult to interpret.

Gerry