Author Topic: Devonshire Cemetery - reburial of a body to Rookwood Catholic Cemetery  (Read 594 times)

Offline sharonkai

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Devonshire Cemetery - reburial of a body to Rookwood Catholic Cemetery
« on: Monday 30 January 17 11:42 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to put the following information, which I thought may be of interest to people doing research in NSW, which includes the Devonshire Cemetery:

My husband was looking for the burial of an ancestor of mine in the Rookwood Catholic Cemetery.  He found the grave but was surprised to find another person also buried in this grave.  The strange thing was, the other person died in 1852 and wasn't buried in this grave until 1901 - a gap of 49 years.  He just assumed that the date on the Rookwood Catholic Cemetery was in error, so emailed them for advice.

The reply came back today that the person had died on 01/01/1852 and was originally buried in the Devonshire Cemetery at that time.  Prior to the construction of Central Railway Station, on the site of the Devonshire Cemetery, the family had this person's body moved and reburied at Rookwood Catholic Cemetery - the reburial was on 28/12/1901.  (Apparently, families were given two months to arrange for exhumation and removal of remains from the cemetery.  All reasonable costs were borne by the Government and the remains that were unclaimed were relocated to a purpose built cemetery named Bunnerong Cemetery (adjoining Botany Cemetery) at La Perouse.  In all, thousands of graves and 2,285 tombstones were relocated to Bunnerong.  For more information, see: http://www.gml.com.au/sydneys-graveyards/)

Twenty years later, in 1921, my ancestor (a Catholic) was buried in the same grave and I was unaware of what the connection was between the two people.  After some research, we found that he was married to the grand-daughter of the original 'occupant' of the grave.  The granddaughter, who wasn't Catholic, is buried in the Anglican section.

So, if you find the death of an ancestor and a burial many years later, don't think it's wrong, as I did, - it could well be a relocation of the body to another cemetery.

The contact at the Rookwood Catholic Cemetery was most helpful and also sent two attachments - Devonshire Street Exhumations; and Devonshire Cemetery (historical information of the cemetery 1819-1888, map and photo). If anyone is interested in this information, please send me a private message and include your email address, and I'll forward them to you.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Devonshire Cemetery - reburial of a body to Rookwood Catholic Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 January 17 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Yes, I am sure this is the 'right place' to share.

NSW State Archives have some info too, for Devonshire Street Cemetery and for other NSW Cemeteries, and the live link below includes further reading.  Sadly the Archives in Brief system  has been 'put out to pasture' or I would press any NSW 19th C researcher to read Archives in Brief 69.   

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/cemeteries-burials-guide

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sharonkai

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Devonshire Cemetery - reburial of a body to Rookwood Catholic Cemetery
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 January 17 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your input, majm.