Author Topic: Matson and Lushington Family research  (Read 5113 times)

Offline doverrog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Matson and Lushington Family research
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 17:33 GMT (UK) »
2nd part
MATSON-East Kent.  HURST- Oxfordshire.

Offline doverrog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 17:33 GMT (UK) »
3rd part

Offline doverrog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 17:34 GMT (UK) »
4th and last part.
I hope you can tie this family in somewhere

Offline Migs17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 25 February 17 04:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello Doverrog - I will email you - but just came on to see in anything about the Waipu  NZ Matsons as I have now moved here.   Lushington interested me as Harbour Master Henry Matson (b. 1814) had a major run-in with a Lushington Goodwin in Tassie - wonder if it was a co-incidence - or there was family history there?   I have also found another Matson relative close by.  Still digging? 

Offline doverrog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 26 February 17 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Some notes which refer to the Lushington connection -
Following the wreck of the convict ship George 111 in 1835, Henry went on to experience character defamation from William Lushington Goodwin  - who referred to him as 'tactless aggressive and rude'. Possibly suffering from paranoia William Goodwin had applied for the job taken by Matthew Curling Friend and was bitter as a result - and it seems that Henry got caught by cross fire! 

Offline UnmentionedHero

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Doverog,

LUSHINGTON MATSON Will 1789:

Excuse the absence, but I was checking and cross checking the Matsons, Jekins and Philpots to try and unravel the jigsaw a bit more.  In the course of my digging, I have found the possible baptism for Lushington Matson!

He is likely the son of Stephen an Ann Matson.  Stephen is the son of James Matson and Susanna Lusshinton (Stephen was born JUL 1693 • Hougham, Kent, England) and the twin bother of one of the James Matson.

I have found a baptism entry for Lushington Matson and the name matches the transcription of Grandmother Susanna Lusshinton's maiden name.  The dates fit with the ages and the place of Baptism with what we know about that family (grandparents James and Susanna).

Lusshinton Matson (mis-transcribed as Lushinten Matson on various websites, but on closer inspection it looks to me like Lusshinton):

Baptised on:16 Jul 1725
Baptised at: St Margaret-at-Cliffe Church, St Margaret-at-Cliffe, Kent, England
Parents Stephen Matson and Ann

Canterbury Cathedral Archives,
Archive reference: U3/200,
Year range: 1701-1761,
Record set: Kent, Canterbury Archdeaconry Baptisms 1538-1912

Hope this helps?

MATSONS / PHILPOTS
I have some more information about earlier Matsons, but will involve another thread about Matsons and Philpots.  I have found Henry Philpot's marriage entry and I suspected that Alice (married to James Matson who died in 1593) was probably Henrey / Henry's sister.  Henry's son Thomas Philpot, a Captain mentions Alice and James Matson's son Robert in his will, as his cousen!

You have Henry as a possible father to Alice and her maiden name as Philpot. I felt this may be wrong and that if any relation, she may have been a sibling.  Henry's marriage is well beyond the date of Alice's birth, infact it is just before Alice Marries James Matson at the same church.  I can email you what I know if easier.

This would also back up my hunch of Robert Matson being the nephew of Henry Philpot (Thomas' father).  In your research you mention that Thomas Philpot adopts the Matson children - do you have any evidence (I am not close to Kent Archives to pop in)?  If this is the case, then the cousin will be adopting his cousins.

I have found what I think is James Matson and Alice’s marriage entry.  Based upon my other research into Philpots, I am clear that Alice is in fact Henry's wife's (Judith Leigh / Lee, daughter of David Leigh) sister and her name is Alice Lee or Leigh.  Definite evidence to support this with the Philpot family - tree mentioned in visitations.

I will continue a new thread, as there is rather a lot here, but the marriage place for them is Barham (this ties up with other Matson's who owned Digges Place and the Black Mill etc - John Matson Mayor of Dover).

:)

Offline doverrog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 09 March 17 18:47 GMT (UK) »
You really have been busy.
I agree with everything you've discovered re the Matsons and Lushington. So many thanks for clearing the link up. I was lost on the one!
The Philpots are definitely another issue. I'm very sketchy about them and clearly need to expand on what I have recorded. When I did record I was very much Matson focused.
I will go through on your other thread as it involves a lot of digging for me. Can you please post a link to the new thread?

Offline UnmentionedHero

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 09 March 17 23:36 GMT (UK) »
I have created the start of a thread to PHILPOT / PHILIPOT with hope of encouraging more research that connect immediate families of MATSON, LEE or LEIGH, MERRIWETHER, GLOVER, in Kent.

I've titled it as follows:

PHILPOT philipot IN KENT (Connections to Matsons, Glovers, Leighs Lees)

:)

Offline doverrog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 10 March 17 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the link I will take a look.