Author Topic: George Herod WRIGHT  (Read 3122 times)

Offline wildwillywright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: George Herod WRIGHT
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 August 05 18:31 BST (UK) »
It's quite possible that he was George WRIGHT for the first few years of his life until his mother married, at which point he was given his stepfather's name, so that he will be in the 1871 and 1881 censuses as George (Something Else), reverting to his "real" name at marriage. Stepchildren often did that.
Looks like you guys were right about taking the mother's surname. There is no father listed on the birth certificate.

Unfortunately I can't find a marriage to  Mr Herod after 1865. Even more unfortunately, the only Maria Wright I can find on the 1861 Census for Spalding is 20 years old and married with a son! She's still married and living in Spalding in 1871 Census, with more children, none of them George.

Might have to trawl the orphanage records?

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 August 05 19:00 BST (UK) »
Wildwillywright,

What does it say exactly on the birth certificate? Is he down as plain George or George Herod?   

FreeBMD doesn't have a too good coverage of marriages in the 1860s if I remember well... 

Was it the mother who registered the birth? 

Tanja

"My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wildwillywright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 05 August 05 08:26 BST (UK) »
Wildwillywright,

What does it say exactly on the birth certificate? Is he down as plain George or George Herod?

FreeBMD doesn't have a too good coverage of marriages in the 1860s if I remember well...

Was it the mother who registered the birth?

Tanja

He is named George, not George Herod. It's the mother who registered the birth, named as Maria Wright. The registrar is John Smith.

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 05 August 05 08:56 BST (UK) »
 :(  1865 is years apart from any census... There are plenty of Maria Wrights in 1861 who could have moved to Spalding by 1865 ... 

Couldn't find a matching Maria Herod in 1871 or 1881.
However there must be a reason why he called himself Herod!
Would his marriage witnesses give any clue? 

What's George's birth address / Maria's address in 1865?

And how far back does the family bible go? Any other names on it which could help us? He doesn't have any siblings you know of, does he?

Tanja  :)

"My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wildwillywright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 05 August 05 09:22 BST (UK) »
I agree, Tanja.

The birth address is given as Mill Yard, Spalding (could be Gard...).

Family bible only goes back to George Herod and his wife Sarah Cooper. Marriage witnesses are Sarah Cooper's siblings - no help there. And I don't know of any siblings for George.

I originally thought the middle name Herod was in honour of one of the leading lights in Primitiive Methodism. There's a long history of Nonconformist lay preaching in the family and I read somewhere that there was a George Herod prominent in the movement. Surprised that his marriage was solemnised in the Established Church but maybe that was just a legalistic thing.

Offline Richard Day

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 10:48 GMT (UK) »
I realise that this post is over ten years old, but I wondered whether you have had any success with this query? GHW was my paternal Great grandfather; his daughter Olive was my much loved grandma. Happy to be of help if needed with that side of the line?
Regards
Aremdee

Offline wildwillywright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard
So your grandmother was my great aunt, Aunt Olive. We must be cousins: good to meet you!
Aunt Olive is in the in the fly-leaf of a family Bible that lists the name, place and DoB for GHW, Sarah and the children including my grandfather, Arnold Wright. It says Olive Rhoda Wright was born in Withcall on 20 March 1905.
I didn't make much progress backwards from GHW and more recently got sidelined into the maternal side following my mother's death in April.
Be good to share what we know about Wright-Cunnington line. I have more info about our great grandmother's ancestry.

Offline Richard Day

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Wow, Good to meet you too! Olive Rhoda Wright became Day after marrying Harry Marshall Day, and their first son was my father Michael. They lived in Keadby. Dad died several years ago but had spent a great deal of time and effort on researching the line. I'll try to get hold of his findings but that may take a couple of weeks. He will also have drawn  a blank on George Herod (wonderful name) I assume and may well then have looked elsewhere...I think he once went in search of the family smithy (would that be in Caistor, or Withcall itself) - I think grandma went to school in Caistor??
Dad used to refer to Uncle Arnold often. I didnt realise that he and Aunty Con (who i remember quite well) were twins! I also remember aunty Marion well. I also remember a photograph Con had of brother Donald who served in the Artillery in WW1. I was under the notion that he had been killed, but I think I'm wrong there. Dad told me he had died young though.

Richard

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Have you ruled this Family out?

1871 Census
Charles Hides, 26, Head, Mar, Ag Lab
Maria Hides, 29, Wife, Mar, born Fotherby**
GEORGE Hides, 5, Son, born Spalding**
Susan Hides, 3, Daug
Joseph Hides, 1, Son
Maria Wright, 66, Mother in Law, Widow, Pauper
Thomas Wright, 21, Lodger, Unm

They dont seem to have married until 1873** Louth 7a 811
Charles HIDES/Maria WRIGHT in same page

Birth Reg;
HYDES, SUSANNA , Mothers mn   WRIGHT**
GRO Reference: 1867  D Quarter in LOUTH  Volume 07A  Page 530

1881 the Family is under HYDES, George not at Home

1851 In Fotherby we have;
Thomas Wright   45
Marin Wright   45
Joshua Wright   14
Sarah Wright   12
Marin Wright   9********
Ann Wright   7
Emma Wright   4
Thomas Wright   1

1861 she is Maria RIGHT born c 1841 Fotherby, a Servant in Louth

Looking at GRO Maria/Emmas Birth Reg's have Mothers MN as PHILLIPS

FreeREG has a 1827 Marriage that fits

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)