Author Topic: Guernsey Cholera Burial Ground  (Read 3205 times)

Offline margaret103

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Guernsey Cholera Burial Ground
« on: Monday 30 January 17 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Does anyone know exactly where the burial Ground was for the victims of Cholera and/or Leprosy in Guernsey. Would it be somewhere near Maladerie Road, St. Sampsons?

Regards,
Margaret

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Guernsey Cholera Burial Ground
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 January 17 19:55 GMT (UK) »
When was the cholera outbreak in Guernsey.
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline margaret103

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 January 17 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

There was one in 1832 and another about 1849.

Regards,

Margaret

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 09:25 GMT (UK) »
That's interesting because my gggrandfather returned to St Oeter Port to visit his family with his Channel Island wife in the 1840s and died there.The record office when I went on a visit only had his death recorded but no certificate.Hus wife returned to London with young son.
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )

Offline letthemeatcakes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 April 17 15:14 BST (UK) »
There is a list of all the people who died in the cholera outbreak in Guernsey, I found my great great grandmother on there Henrietta Sophia Kaines.  I do have a newspaper clipping with the announcement of her death which was recorded as consumption which it says she'd suffered with for many years.
My guess is that the cholera mixed with her consumption was not a good match and she died.  I suppose that it was less painful to admit she'd died of a long term illness than cholera.  She was only in her 27 when she died and left four young children behind her.
I think I found the list on the Jerripedia site, here is all their information regarding cholera in the islands https://www.theislandwiki.org/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&search=cholera&go=Go

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 April 17 17:03 BST (UK) »
I tried the link but cannot find a list of names.What am I doing wrong .
Ringrose

Offline letthemeatcakes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 April 17 17:34 BST (UK) »
Let me see if I can find the exact page and link you to it.  brb

Offline letthemeatcakes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 April 17 18:40 BST (UK) »
Many thanks .....no luck as it's 1832 .
Ringrose