Author Topic: Wallis/Culnane  (Read 770 times)

Offline smushedfaerey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wallis/Culnane
« on: Wednesday 01 February 17 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone!  For the last week I have been stuck on my  husbands GG Grandfather Thomas Wallis/Wallace and his wife.  I have found the baptism records of his children Margaret, Mary, and Catherine at St. Finbarr's South, Cork, but before that I cannot find anything of him nor his wife Mary Culnane.  She is listed as the mother of all three girls in the baptism records.  I have found Death records for Thomas and Mary at Gunpowder lane.  He died in 1903, and she in 1896.  Per the age on the records she was born in 1828 and him 1838....... her being 10 years older has thrown me off, but it can happen right?  I hope someone can help  me break through this.....its so frustrating getting somewhere on the other trees and this one is like a wall I cannot break through. 
Thanks so much!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wallis/Culnane
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat,
Can you give the year of birth for the first child, please.

Offline smushedfaerey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
The first child born was Maragaret in 1859.  Then it was Mary in 1862 and Catherine in 1869.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Nothing extra to learn from the baptisms. It may be that Mary was from another parish and they would most likely have married there, the records from that parish might not survive.

The marriages from South Parish look to be very clearly written, it's unlikely their marriage was missed.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 February 17 23:31 GMT (UK) »
There aren't many Culnane's in the Applotment books
http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/results.jsp?surname=Culnane+&firstname=&county=Cork&parish=&townland=&search=Search
Of course not everyone is listed in the Applotment books so just possibles.
You have to work out which RC parish the Civil Parishes are in.
https://www.johngrenham.com/places/

Offline ftcorkmdb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 February 17 12:49 GMT (UK) »
In my database of five parishes south of Cork City I show 13 spelling variants of CULNANE: CULLNANE, CULLANANE, CULLENANE, CULLINANE, CLENANE, CLINANE, CALANAN, CALLINANE, CALLANAN, CALLANANE, CALNAN, CALNANE.  It appears that most priests considered the forms in CU- to represent the same name as those in CA-, though they were apparently different names in Irish.  On the same stone in Douglas Catholic graveyard I saw CULLINANE and CALLANAN . Note also that the names Wallis or Wallace were considered by some priests to be variants of Walsh. In looking for these surnames in the Tithe Applotment books, you probably have to enter an exact spelling. 

Offline smushedfaerey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 February 17 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks guys!  While digging more yesterday I found one more candidate for my  husbands grandmothers parents, I know for sure her father was Thomas Wallace/Wallis as i have her marriage record via his dad.  So I know that is right at least lol.  When his dad went to Ireland to research he found his dads family but could not find his moms.  So thats where i picked it up.  I found yesterday a birth record for a Mary Wallace b. to Thomas Wallace and Mary Corrigan r. in Armagh.   So im fleshing out both to see if it connects, better to cover all bases.  I really appreciate any help every little bit counts!