Author Topic: WDYTYA Series 13: Greg Davies  (Read 5603 times)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Re: WDYTYA Series 13: Greg Davies
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 February 17 13:07 GMT (UK) »
One of those cases where someone was able to identify the father of an illegitimate child, and the illegitimacy being as recent as Greg's grandmother. Good episode.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 February 17 13:09 GMT (UK) »
I thought the most important message was to show that a missing father's details on a birth certificate is not always a brick wall and other records can often provide the information to name him quite easily.

My wife has family roots in the same area of North Wales so that made it more interesting, and like Greg she also had a relative who moved down to the Rhondda valley to work in the mines at about the same time (which was a common thing).

A good one..

Offline Clarkey500

• RootsChat Senior
  • Flag of Somerset
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 February 17 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Really enjoyed this episode! Greg seemed really interested in his family's past so it was easy to watch. Although he could have done more research himself other than the 1911 census. I also enjoyed the part at the end where it seemed that everyone was descended from Owen - I reckon that was part of Greg's humour.
Devon: Bibby, Bird, Chaplin, Davey, Littlejohns, Pope, Shire, Sloman, Tucker
Dorset: Gauler
Gloucestershire: Gauler
Hampshire: Kimber
London: Crump, Gauler
Middlesex: Crump
Monmouthshire: Brunt
Northumberland: Bibby
Somerset: Clarke, Dibble, Duddridge, Parsons, Pool, Poole, Shire, Silvester
Surrey: Clarke
Wiltshire: Gauler

GEDmatch (myself): A869547
GEDmatch (my maternal grandfather):A933749
GEDmatch (my maternal grandmother): NY7596565

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 February 17 13:30 GMT (UK) »
I thought the most important message was to show that a missing father's details on a birth certificate is not always a brick wall and other records can often provide the information to name him quite easily.

My wife has family roots in the same area of North Wales so that made it more interesting, and like Greg she also had a relative who moved down to the Rhondda valley to work in the mines at about the same time (which was a common thing).

A good one..

Yes very true. Baptism records, maintenance records, etc. And before 1834, bastardy bonds or even newspaper records.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 February 17 16:14 GMT (UK) »
I also felt that the bit at the end was a good response to the "Danny Dyer" programme at the start of the series - put it in perspective, and made the DD chap look even sillier.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 02 February 17 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Yes

I would love to find the necessary info for one of mine that seemingly had 4 children without a father.

Anyway apart from that I did enjoy it... He is a better person than I imagined and had a great sense of 'family' ... well close family :) 

Lovely to see that wonderful lady - she was a lovely character.

Yep all in all great, with some fantastic scenery thrown in   

xin

Offline mulvenna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 03 February 17 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Halfway through this one, I did think to myself "I'm really enjoying this". I reckon each episode in this series has been pretty rich in stimulating content and told  interesting stories.

It's a tough hand to be dealt when your mother dies giving birth to you and I couldn't help speculate that that might be a factor in the Evan / William relationship and William's apparently flawed character.

The ease with which folk discussed the illegitimacies interested me as I have found in one case in my family the stigma continues through the generations for some reason and it's off limits to talk about it with that branch of the family and even frowned upon to be known to be actively digging for research.

It's an unusual case where I know the father but not the mother...

As has been mentioned already, the pub scene came across as an amusing callback to the Danny Dyer episode, almost self referential by the production team.
MULVENNA, McGAREL, MATTHEWS, MORROW, GIBSON, ROBINSON, McKAY (Co. Antrim); O'CONNOR, MULLAN, PERRY, CAMPBELL, COWAN, McGUIGAN, HUNTER (Co. Derry); McCRORY, MULGREW (Co. Tyrone)

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 03 February 17 12:42 GMT (UK) »
I haven't seen this episode yet, but  it sounds right up my street so I'll definitely catch it later. I've got an illegitimate ancestor and had given up on finding his father, but recently I've wondered if it isn't impossible after all. Sometimes I think WDYTYA doesn't go into enough detail for my liking, e.g. what records are available and where to find them, they just magically fall into the celebrity's hands. Hopefully they'll show enough for me to pick up some tips.
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline mikechristopher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 03 February 17 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Sometimes I think WDYTYA doesn't go into enough detail for my liking, e.g. what records are available and where to find them, they just magically fall into the celebrity's hands.

I agree with you there as the way they make it come across is that all of this information is easy to find.  What they dont state is how many researchers they have behind the scenes ploughing through all of this information and where they are looking. 
Nolan, Cremins & O'Connor - County Kerry, Ireland.
Keogh - Queen's County (Laois)
Stack - Limerick & Clare