Author Topic: John Cameron: Birth Place - Help Please!  (Read 2999 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: John Cameron: Birth Place - Help Please!
« Reply #27 on: Friday 03 February 17 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Is this the name "Seath?"

Skoosh, yes it's a variant Saith/Seath like Bethune/Beaton.

I love when 'old' spellings are continued in recent times as it makes light work for research  ;)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 04 February 17 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Another thought .... If your father has siblings, can you ask them if they know their father's place of birth? Although you say you don't think your father will support you applying for British Citizenship, you could try asking him too?  :-\ (though he may not know with 100% certainty).

I am surprised that you have to supply details of grandparents when applying for British Citizenship. I thought  that a parent being born in The UK would have been the only requirement.

Anyway, you now know which documentation you need to obtain his b/c so good luck with it.

Added: One of the Scottish experts will correct me if I am wrong, but I think Paisley is (or was) both a district and a town, and it may be acceptable to say you were born in "Glasgow" if you were born in Paisley these days as the Glasgow suburbs have gradually swallowed it up. :-\

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 04 February 17 01:41 GMT (UK) »
Ruskie,

To my belief, Paisley (District) is in the County of Renfrew(shire) which borders Glasgow (City).

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 04 February 17 03:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Annie. As a local, you should know.  ;) :)

A bit off topic, but I know with some of the bigger cities like London and Birmingham, what used to be villages on the outskirts, are now part of the city ... for example, I think it is now called Greater London whereas it used to be that London was "the city", the central area, with Middlesex surrounding it. Today if someone was born miles from The City, say in Hammersmith, they would probably simplify it and just say they were born in London.

Not such a consideration when the OP's father was born, as most babies were born at home, but it could be that if born in a hospital or in a relative's home, then the registration district might not be their usual abode.

Once again, the address should be given on the certificate so not important in this case, but just something to be aware of when considering the district someone's birth was registered in.  :)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 05 February 17 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

BCameron, just some notes from my own personal experience. My husband and me were both born abroad to British parents. Both our fathers happened to be working abroad for a number of years. UK visa and immigration rules have changed enormously over the years. You are right, you do need to give much more detail to your right to UK visas and nationality than you ever have before. This includes details on grandparents as the requirements now go further back up the ancestry line.

When I applied for my children's first passports, details on grandparents (maternal and paternal) were required including place of birth. Where you have a surname like Cameron, it can be hard to pinpoint details. However, lots of info has already been mentioned here:

You have the Gorbal births including the one for a John in 1934 (the reference to the Janet Seath Cameron birth in 1930 there makes this a possibity). You have an exact birth date for him in 1934 which is a big help.

Jamjar mentioned above the precise reference for you grandfather John's marriage to Patricia Falon.
in 1955.

You have your father's birth cert which gives confirmation of his parents' marriage.

I would say you have enough there to state your details on him on a form. Regardless of what you put down on the form, it will always have to be verified independently by authorities. They won't just take what you put down on the form as fact. You will be able to give them the details so that they can use these to view official records at the Scottish General Register Office - www.nrscotland.gov.uk  This is standard practice really.

If you do want to trace your father's genealogy back, then do work through the details on your Cameron/Falon grandparents. Finding John Cameron's parents' names from that 1955 marriage will let you work back to that marriage and family details etc...

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk