Author Topic: John Cameron: Birth Place - Help Please!  (Read 2990 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: John Cameron: Birth Place - Help Please!
« Reply #18 on: Friday 03 February 17 05:13 GMT (UK) »

Yes, unfortunately though marriage certs at the time did not list place of birth I believe? As such it probably won't be very helpful for my purpose, as place of birth is all I need!

Would it not have his mother's maiden name. If so you could possibly find their marriage and then possibly narrow the area of birth for your grandfather.

J.
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline BCameron

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 03 February 17 05:23 GMT (UK) »

Would it not have his mother's maiden name. If so you could possibly find their marriage and then possibly narrow the area of birth for your grandfather.

J.

Yes you're right, however it would still be a lot of guessing and I need to provide a specific place unfortunately.

Does anyone know if the Scottish National Archives has people that can search more accurately than is available online? My main issue is that while I have my grandfather's exact birth date, Scotland's People website only allows you to search by year, which brings up to many possibilities.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 03 February 17 05:27 GMT (UK) »
You can contact Scotland's National Archives directly  :D

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/researching-online

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 03 February 17 09:14 GMT (UK) »
The surname Saith is very unusual in Scotland and ScotlandsPeople only has a handful of BMD. However if you put Saith in as a first name it brings up a number of entries of Camerons with middle name Saith ( including the person I assume is your father) This is such an unusual name combination that I feel there has to be a link with your family.
Of note are the birth entries for the following-
Janet Saith Cameron born 1930 Gorbals Glasgow
James Saith Cameron born 1932 Gorbals/ St Rollex Glasgow
With these in mind i think the 1934 entry for John Cameron in Gorbals may be the one you are looking for. Also the entry number is very high ( in the thousands) which would suggest that the entry is for a birth late in the year which would fit your known date of birth.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 03 February 17 10:00 GMT (UK) »
BCameron,

If you are finding it so difficult to find out the birth place of your grandfather, it makes me wonder how those processing your application will be able to confirm that the information you are providing is accurate. If you don't know which John Cameron is your grandfather, how would anyone else know?

It is possible that if you had known your grandfather, and he had told you that he was born in Glasgow (which looks possible as per Isobel's finds), as that is where he believes he was born, when in actual fact he may have been born in a nearby parish, then he may have been wrong. Happens quite often.

Do you know if your grandfather left a will? A death certificate may be included with the will, and may name his place of birth. (fingers crossed that it tells you the town rather than simply "Scotland")

Added:
JM, we all love your verbose replies. You always have something are very interesting and entertaining to say. :-*

Offline BCameron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 03 February 17 10:06 GMT (UK) »
The surname Saith is very unusual in Scotland and ScotlandsPeople only has a handful of BMD. However if you put Saith in as a first name it brings up a number of entries of Camerons with middle name Saith ( including the person I assume is your father) This is such an unusual name combination that I feel there has to be a link with your family.
Of note are the birth entries for the following-
Janet Saith Cameron born 1930 Gorbals Glasgow
James Saith Cameron born 1932 Gorbals/ St Rollex Glasgow
With these in mind i think the 1934 entry for John Cameron in Gorbals may be the one you are looking for. Also the entry number is very high ( in the thousands) which would suggest that the entry is for a birth late in the year which would fit your known date of birth.
Isobel

Wow thank you that makes a lot of sense! That seems right, I had estimated that he may be that John Cameron so that seems to confirm it!

Thanks everyone for your help on this - it's also interesting to know Saith is unusual name in Scotland!

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 03 February 17 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Can you do a cross check for your grandfather's death, parents named on the index or d/c, and the parents of the John Cameron found by Isobel?

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 03 February 17 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Is this the name "Seath?"

Skoosh.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 03 February 17 10:57 GMT (UK) »
The easiest way to confirm it is the right one is to purchase the 1955 marriage that the poster already knows is correct and the 1934 Gorbals birth. If the parents match then he will know it is the correct birth and will then have the correct place of birth.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)