Author Topic: Wylies -- link with Kilkenny  (Read 344 times)

Offline OliverL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wylies -- link with Kilkenny
« on: Friday 03 February 17 16:07 GMT (UK) »
My mother was an Enda Wyley from Waterford. Family lore has it that the Wylies came to the Waterford Kilkenny area from Londonderry and this seems to be supported by DNA, as we have matches  with  Wylies in both Antrim and Londonderry, as well as with Irvines, McDowells and Lyles. I'm trying to trace how the Wylies moved south and I'm stumped.

My  major brick wall is with my great great grandfather whose name was William Wylie/Wealy/Willy. What I know for sure is that he was a Policeman, (according to his wife's death cert) that he had two children John, 1840 and Mary, 1843, who were born in Waterford/Kilkenny,  and that the mother was a Catherine Heade (1818-1890). Their  children were baptized as catholic in the Parish church in Whitegate, north Kilkenny even though William was a Presbyterian, and it seems his son, at least, was raised a Presbyterian.

Mary Wyley moved to Peoria in Illinois in 1867, and  her brother joined her but moved back to Waterford and opened a tea and grocery shop in the mid- 1880's. He was  Catholic by the time of his marriage in 1885.

There is no RIC record or pension record for William Wylie.

I was wondering if anyone here has had a Wylie line that moved to Waterford/Kilkenny that might match my gggrandfather?

Rgds

oliver