Author Topic: miller family iowa  (Read 714 times)

Offline clwyd2

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
miller family iowa
« on: Friday 03 February 17 23:02 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace the miller family from Iowa.My mother had a friend called Thelda but I don't know her surname I believe she was my Godmother.Thelda met an American GI in Liverpool during WW2 and eventually married him but I don't know if the marriage was in UK or back in the States.My family kept in touch and when my Mother died in 1953 Thelda asked if I would like to go and live with them in Iowa.I was living with my Grandparents and Mother at that time as my Father had separated from my Mother shortly after returning from the war with Japan.
The miller family had a ranch in Iowa and wanted me to go and live there but I was only 10 years old and didn't want to leave my Grandparents .I have the name Thelda, David and Byron in an old diary the only dates I have are birthdays but not the years.
Thelda Miller 27th May---(*). Miller 8th Aug---(*) Miller 6th Sept  I think David is the Father of  (*).My Mother was born in 1916  so Thelda and David will be of a similar age give or take a few years.All my searches have hit a brick wall both for marriage in UK and Iowa and deaths in Iowa .I don' know how to find a GI's service history which may help .I have used  both David and Byron as the husband in my searches but still no luck.I know they were around up until 1955 in Iowa as they used to send me Christmas presents,this is all the info I have I hope someone may be able to help me with my search .Regards from Clwyd2 in Liverpool.

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: miller family iowa
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 February 17 00:58 GMT (UK) »
I think this may be Etheldrelda "Thelda" - https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=26883825&ref=acom 

Social Security death index shows that her Social Security number was issued in Iowa in 1967.  https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V9KW-M4X

Her Social Security application has her born in Liverpool LA to John W. Davies & Martha Jones.

She is on a naturalization index that indicates she was naturalized in 1949 and references Lake, Park, Iowa and Jackson Co., Minnesota.

An outgoing passenger list has Etheldrelda sailing with a 5 month old son in 1946.  She was from 17, Whitaker Street, Liverpool 8, Lancaster.  This seems to be the incoming manifest - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:24GQ-3LB

I found the other son on the Minnesota birth index with a birthdate that matches the day you have.  His parents were listed as Harold H. Miller and Etheldreda M. Davies.  I think both sons may be living, so I removed the names from your post.

I think this is Harold - https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=26883816&ref=acom

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 February 17 01:02 GMT (UK) »
This appears to have an obituary about Thelda's mother - https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/52269956/

The obituary as best I can make it out:

Mrs. Martha Davis was born in Birkenhead Cheshire, England, on August 15, 1877. She spent her girlhood and school days in Birkenhead and grew to womanhood there. She was united in marriage to John William Davies on April 21, 1914. They were blessed with one child Etheldreda May, now Mrs. Harold Miller of Lake Park. Her beloved husband passed away at their home in Liverpool, England, on November 12, 1947. In April of 1948 Mrs. Davies came to the U. S. .... daughter. Here she lived until her sudden passing early Wednesday, Feb. 27, 1952. Mrs. Davies was a wonderful mother, a kind, generous and patient wife, and a very good neighbor.  Survived by her daughter and son-in-law  Mrs. Harold Miller, and two grandsons ** and ** Miller, and one brother Fred Jones in England.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 February 17 19:39 GMT (UK) »
1948 New York Passenger List referred to in  the obituary -  Martha Davies - aged 70 years - born Birkenhead - widowed. travelling to New York on the Queen Elizabeth - 18 March 1948 - nephew William A Linwood - North Mossley Road - Liverpool 18 - going to lake Park - Iowa - daughter Thelda Miller - Route 2, lake park, Iowa.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-994V-PQCJ?mode=g&i=1047&cc=1923888

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 February 17 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Minnesota, Death Index, 1908-2002 - Martha Davies - 27 February 1952 - Jackson - Certificate Number:   006790

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline clwyd2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 February 17 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to shelly and sandra for all the information which fits in perfectly I live about 5 miles away from addresses you gave in Liverpool so I can do some more research here.I didn't think that there would be any of the family alive when I posted but the children would be around my age, could you confirm the full dates of birth of them via PM.I have some photos of my Mother with Thelda and would like to be able to contact them to send copies if possible.would I be able to find out their addresses on line?   One last thought ,did you find any details of Harold's ww2 service records .
Once again I am very grateful for all your assistance.
Best wishes from Chris--- clwyd2

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 February 17 23:19 GMT (UK) »
There is a Veteran's Affairs death file for Harold that shows he was in the Army from 4 Jun. 1941 to 2 Dec. 1945.  A lot of men from that era joined up after the attack on Pearl Harbor, so interesting that he was in before then.

I can send you the information I found on their sons via PM.

Offline clwyd2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 February 17 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks again Shelly you have been a wonderful help filling in part of my early childhood family memories.Thanks for pm the birth registration in Warrington may be because Harold had come home from war and there was a huge American airbase at Burtonwood with a whole village for the personnel .Some of this still exists today,I have been in the aircraft hangars some years ago one is supposed to be haunted by an American bomber crew member,the people who now own the hangar had found a flying helmet a baseball bat and ball high up on  a wall inside the hanger .I Googled Lake park today but couldn't findroute2on the map only 2nd Ave regards from Chris.

Offline clwyd2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 April 17 00:04 BST (UK) »
I would like to thank everyone who helped with my research into the Miller family. In February I took a chance and wrote to Byron at the last address known and today 11th April I received an E Mail from him with photos of the family I was so pleased to get a reply.I have sent some photos in return and have scanned some more ready to send I can't wait to have a chat with him I shall have to work out the time difference .Once again many thanks to you all .
Regards from Chris [clwyd2]