Author Topic: Anastasia Sullivan..Ireland - New York 1922  (Read 2838 times)

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Irish Nutter on the Hunt for Rellies :-)
    • View Profile
Anastasia Sullivan..Ireland - New York 1922
« on: Saturday 04 February 17 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi!

Hoping someone can help solve a mystery for me please. I'm searching for information of what became of my great-aunt after she came to the United States of America in 1922. Here's what I know about her:

Anastatia Sullivan b. 24 August 1901 Bouladuff, Thurles, Co. Tipperary, Ireland to John Sullivan and Bridget Walsh. She immigrated to America on the SS Baltic from Liverpool on December 9th 1922 going to her brother-in-law, James Penny in Buffalo, NY. She was 19 years old at the time. Her name on the immigration listing was Stasin Sullivan. There is a listing earlier that year, but she didn't travel.

Could anyone suggest where I can go to from here please. Would love to find out more information about her.

Regards & thanks
Annie
The surnames, which I am interested in are; Maternal side: Ryan, Kevin, Grant, Grady, Gleeson, Walsh, Dwyer, Paternal side: O' Dwyer, Woodlock, Rochford & Britton - all in Tipperary; and Kelly and Hoynes in Laois.

Ryan, Campbell, Luttrell, Grant, Grahame, Bainbridge and Brown in Queensland, Australia

Tighe in Victoria, Australia.

Grant in Philadelphia, Sullivan and Penny in New York; and Britton in Connecticut

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Anastasia Sullivan..Ireland - New York 1922
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 February 17 16:02 GMT (UK) »

Background info from previous thread for information purposes.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=384914.0

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 February 17 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Last sighting other thread - reply 7

A possibility - Oakland - Buffalo Ward 25, Erie New York 1925 Census.

Henry W Sprague 60 Lawyer.
Mary Sprague 68 Wife
Elizabeth Hughes 43 Born USA. Cook
Stacia Sullivan 20  Born 1905 Ireland. Maid

Buffalo, New York, City Directory, 1926 - Stasia Sullivan
Hotel Statler - Buffalo, New York  Occupation: Maid

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 February 17 16:08 GMT (UK) »
1930 Census E 72 nd street Manhattan, New York.

Hy Hesse   68
Clare Hesse 56
H Englehardt 24
E Helfretsch 28
A M Sullivan 30 Born ireland. imm 1925. Maid. Private Family. Alien.
A Anderson 34
J Anderson   44

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 February 17 16:10 GMT (UK) »
No way of knowing yet but there were City Directory entries 1953 for Anastasia Sullivan - 241 E 40 Muryhil 2-82 Manhattan New York -  ???

Added also 1957/60 at same address

Sandra

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Irish Nutter on the Hunt for Rellies :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 February 17 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sandra...I couldn't remember if I posted a previous thread about her  ;D

Anyhow, I think that 1925 & 1926 could be her. I've seen hints on Ancestry, including one for a death in England, which I know isn't her as a neice of hers purchased it a while back.

She's like a thorn in the side, this one lol

Annie
The surnames, which I am interested in are; Maternal side: Ryan, Kevin, Grant, Grady, Gleeson, Walsh, Dwyer, Paternal side: O' Dwyer, Woodlock, Rochford & Britton - all in Tipperary; and Kelly and Hoynes in Laois.

Ryan, Campbell, Luttrell, Grant, Grahame, Bainbridge and Brown in Queensland, Australia

Tighe in Victoria, Australia.

Grant in Philadelphia, Sullivan and Penny in New York; and Britton in Connecticut

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 February 17 01:47 GMT (UK) »
I still think it might be good to verify if there is an obit for Margaret, just in case there are any clues there.

There's a group that is trying to get the New York State death index available to all.  https://www.reclaimtherecords.org/records-request/3/  Hopefully, that will happen sooner rather than later. 

In the meantime, there is a library that will do look-ups covering a 5 year span in the New York State marriage or death index.  How to make a request is explained here - http://www.unyg.com/blog/index.php/2008/03/new-york-state-vital-records-microfiche-indexes-update/  The library's website is now http://www.onlib.org/research/special-collections/local-history-genealogy, but the rest of the info remains the same.  The odds are probably higher that a young woman married than died, so a request for the marriage index in the 1925-1930 range would probably be my recommendation. 

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 February 17 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Last sighting other thread - reply 7

A possibility - Oakland - Buffalo Ward 25, Erie New York 1925 Census.

Henry W Sprague 60 Lawyer.
Mary Sprague 68 Wife
Elizabeth Hughes 43 Born USA. Cook
Stacia Sullivan 20  Born 1905 Ireland. Maid

Buffalo, New York, City Directory, 1926 - Stasia Sullivan
Hotel Statler - Buffalo, New York  Occupation: Maid

Sandra

In addition to the above, there is a column on the census image
  Number of years in the United States:  2
which is close to Anastasia's arrival - perhaps this is your lady
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 February 17 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Have you considered the 1940 census entry for an Anastasia O'Sullivan, Irish, aged 39, single in Brooklyn?

Or, a 1954 New York Passenger List showing Aliens and Re -Entries (USC). There are two Sullivan females listed (no dob or year). One is an 'Alien' , Nationality 'Irish', named Bridie. The other is a 'USC', Nationality 'USP born Ireland', named Anastacia. Address for both, 241 East 40th Street, NYC?

Annie, what became of 'your' Anastasia's mum, Bridget?

Same person as Anastacia above?:

No way of knowing yet but there was a City Directory entry 1953 for Anastasia Sullivan - 241 E 40 Muryhil 2-82 Manhattan New York -  ???

Sandra
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .