Author Topic: Beginner to DNA - Head is spinning  (Read 3740 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner to DNA - Head is spinning
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 February 17 11:57 GMT (UK) »
That clarifies that, thanks youngtug.  :)

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 February 17 21:43 GMT (UK) »
I've done autosomal with ancestrydna and ftdna. I had the rest of the family do the ancestrydna one.You can't upload other results to ancestry by the way. 2 years on now I am gonna do the new livingDNA. I will go to the wdytya in Birmingham so hopefully they may have offers on ad I know they are there. !y tree is on ancestry and mine and the rest of the families DNA is linked to it. I've heard a few people are disappointed with 23 and me. I saw a friends and I must admit I would n't have been happy either.

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 February 17 22:57 GMT (UK) »
I have a tree on ancestry with a subscription, but I don't want to have to continue to subscription. So I could move the data to another site.

If I test with Ancestry, does that mean my full tree will be public to anyone I match with? Including any extra sources, working notes etc I've made? I know I'd need to share my tree basic information like dates and places, but I'm not ready to make the whole thing public. If that is possible?

EDIT:  I'm reading through the ancestry support pages
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 20 February 17 11:11 GMT (UK) »
AngelFish - my understanding is that Ancestry doesn't have a "make tree public to DNA matches only" option, whereas FamilyTreeDNA does.  So at Ancestry your tree is on view to everyone if you make it public.

What you could do is download a GEDCOM from Ancestry and then upload it again to Ancestry as your second tree, and make that public. It wouldn't have all your attached documents and supporting records, and you could edit out your notes if you wished.  You could keep your original tree with the notes and documents private.

In the past couple of days FamilyTreeDNA has been able to accept autosomal transfers from the new Ancestry chip.  There is no cost to see your matches, but for $19 you can unlock some features such as chromosome browser (which Ancestry doesn't have).  It sounds as if the payment process is very laggy though so if you do transfer (which doesn't remove it from Ancestry) you might want to wait a few days before unlocking and hopefully it will be fixed by then.

Offline sunny51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 February 17 06:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angelfish.
Perhaps the Cymru DNA project or the Britain project might suit you.
Also you can buy it as a printed book to put on your bookshelf for reference.

Critchley, Morgan, Mogford, Marks, Price,  Pryce,Hammond, Lambert, (Davis) Lane and Thomas in Gloucestershire, Herefordshire and Somerset to South Wales.  Northover, Samways, Stevens, Clark, Ridge and Thornhill in Dorset

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 23 February 17 10:17 GMT (UK) »
It is important to know that DNA testing looks to ancient times , say pre1500 years ago back to when your ancestors walked out of Africa 60,000 yrs ago. 
Have a read on their website before deciding what to do.

Depends what test you take. If you are lucky you can find matches with others using a paper trail, so up to a few hundred years ago .....

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 23 February 17 13:07 GMT (UK) »
It is important to know that DNA testing looks to ancient times , say pre1500 years ago back to when your ancestors walked out of Africa 60,000 yrs ago. 
Have a read on their website before deciding what to do.

Depends what test you take. If you are lucky you can find matches with others using a paper trail, so up to a few hundred years ago .....

I'm not impressed by their website. Britains DNA, Cymru DNA Wales, along with their Irelands DNA, Scotlands DNA and Yorkshires!!! DNA!!! are part of the myDNATM.global I've also looked at the Source BioScience website. They undertaking a research study and hope that people testing with them will allow their samples to be used.

From their website:
"Will I be able to compare my results to others to find possible relations?

No. We test for deep ancestry and your results are unlikely to help you contact living relatives, or indeed provide information on recent family history. Unlike other DNA ancestry companies which use short tandem repeats (STRs) and compare results to find possible matches, our SNP marker testing offers the best insight into your ancient genetic heritage."

Also:
"I have been looking into my family history. Will this be helpful to your research?

When you order your test, we will ask you to provide some information on your recent family history, as well as details of your earliest known male relative. This information is helpful to BritainsDNA's ongoing research into the genetic make-up of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

However, at this time, the results of our testing concern deep ancestry only, and are unlikely to provide information on your recent ancestors or "bridge the gap" with your own genealogy research. Therefore you should not expect your family history research to be incorporated into the results you will receive. It will however be very useful to the ongoing project, in helping us to amass a body of data on British genetic history which can be used for further research."

The testing they offer is not at all what I am looking for, and would be a complete waste of my money.
Angelfish

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 23 February 17 14:41 GMT (UK) »
This might suit you:
https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/dna-basics/autosomal/
(and it is one of the cheaper tests too)

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 23 February 17 23:49 GMT (UK) »
This might suit you:
https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/dna-basics/autosomal/
(and it is one of the cheaper tests too)

Thats the one I'm leaning towards Ruskie. It'd be about £74. That or trying to decide if it'd be worth doing the Ancestry one, then paying to also transfer the data to Family Tree DNA but that'd be a total of approx £115.