Author Topic: WDYTYA Exhibition NEC, Birmingham, 6-8 April 2017  (Read 3075 times)

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
WDYTYA Exhibition NEC, Birmingham, 6-8 April 2017
« on: Sunday 05 February 17 09:18 GMT (UK) »
I have been asked to accompany a friend to this event. Does anyone have a full list of exhibitors as I searched and found no mention of Scotland, Staffordshire, Nottinghamshire, Rutland and Birmingham History Societies. I imagine the stand rental must be very expensive.

Judy
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
Re: WDYTYA Exhibition NEC, Birmingham, 6-8 April 2017
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 February 17 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Depends on what sort of stand it is - the "table" stands used by the local FHS groups are not that expensive, but there are extra costs of travel and accommodation to think abut. Many societies don't have the funds these days.

I'd be very surprised if there isn't a Birmingham stand.

But still worth visiting - even if your county of interest isn't represented.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 February 17 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 February 17 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your replies. It seems to me that the exhibitors like FindMyPast and Ancestry obviously want to recruit new members; who can blame them? I just wanted to know first hand whether it's worth attending. What is the entrance fee? It's usually around £12 for other events here. Luckily I shall have no problem with transport or accommodation costs. ;)

Anyone else thinking of going?

Judy
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 February 17 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Prices vary; on the day or in advance etc.

Details here:

http://www.whodoyouthinkyouarelive.com/ticket-information

I have been twice when it was held in London; once organised by my local FHS and once treated to a special ticket by my son (special workshops/talks booked with reserved seat, free guide etc.).  I found it worth going but hard on the feet.  if I lived near to Birmingham or could afford to stay I would probably book a 3 day ticket and pace myself!
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 February 17 13:50 GMT (UK) »
I went last year for the first time since I think 2003 (when they last held one at the NEC) as I got a discounted ticket for £10 plus booking fee booked the previous October or November.  Not going this year as didn't find it that useful, really depends on what you want to do and see.  As I live the other side of Birmingham I went by train as its a bit expensive to park on top of the petrol costs.  The last time I went to anything at the NEC the parking had just gone up to £7 which I thought then was extortionate, now I gather its £12. :o

They do often have offers of 2 for 1 tickets (people rather than days) but they appear to have all finished at the moment, can't find any.  Its possible there may be a few late offers but otherwise its a bit expensive especially if you pay on the day.

I'm surprised Leicestershire & Rutland FHS aren't attending (not on the exhibitor's list) but can't remember if they were there last year or not.  Staffordshire will come under Birmingham & Midland FHS and they are definitely on the list.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Adrian Stevenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 February 17 13:59 GMT (UK) »
No mention of Notts FHS going. Nothing on their website.

I have not been to the show show it moved to the NEC. Much closer to home for me being only 40 mins away. But we always used to book a weekend away in London when it was held at Olympia to make it more of an occasion.

I may go this year though.

Cheers, Ade.
Stevensons of Ruddington. Haplogroup  I FCG24357. MT Haplogroup T2c1. GedMatch number T419829

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 February 17 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the additional feedback. I hadn't picked up that Staffordshire would come under Birmingham & Midland FHS. My OH has lots of family connections from Aston, Birmingham, and Dudley who've always been too close to home and not interesting/romantic enough! Not true really!  ;D

I have some Irish "dead-ends" which could be worth researching as I did notice there are several Irish exhibitors. The problem is do these groups want you to join their society and expect payment for help etc?

I notice there is a Black Country Society too which I presume would include Dudley.

Maybe there will be further exhibitors registering late.

I usually use my Tesco points/vouchers to buy tickets for the craft and art shows at the NEC so, hopefully, similar offers will be available for this exhibition. This is a really good way of using Tesco vouchers if you have never done it before.

Please continue to submit your comments especially if you could explain what goes on with workshops and talks etc.

Judy
Brown, Green - Rutland
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Exhall Colliery & Brickworks - very rare photo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 February 17 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Watch out for the car parking fee! The NEC charge anything up to £12 for a day's parking. I go to the NEC often, and quite often drive to one of the stations between Coventry and the NEC as the parking is often free and the train fair is only a few quid.
Johnson, Crankshaw, Burdett, Shaw, Dawson/Dulson, Whitebread/Whitbread, Drane, Hyett, Holtaway, Thompson, Bodell, Livermore, Gee, Vernon, Smith......the list goes on....and on...and on....