Author Topic: Missing Marriage - advice/help needed!  (Read 902 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Marriage - advice/help needed!
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 February 17 18:26 GMT (UK) »
FreeBMD only has the 1851 registration, looks as if there was a problem with some of the Nottingham registrations!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Penholder

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Archie & Ruby
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Marriage - advice/help needed!
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 February 17 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all again for your interest and apologies that I've only just checked back.   I've been busy making roman blinds...

I hadn't spotted the second birth registration for Lettice.   I wonder what it means?   I have her birth certificate which gives a birth date of 1st March 1851 at Eldon Street.   Her age is always consistent with being born in 1851.

Regarding the Parker bit of Lettice's name, her grandmother (Eliza's mother, Catherine HOLLINGWORTH) married Richard PARKER in 1829, ten years after Eliza was born.  He was ten years younger than his wife and can't be Eliza's father (surely!!) as he was only about ten or eleven when Eliza was born.

Catherine HOLLINGWORTH seems to have been blind from birth, so life can't have been easy for her and her illegitimate daughter.   I imagine Eliza must have been pretty grateful to him and that's why she used his surname for her daughter - speculation of course.

Regards,

Diana 
Hakes - Piddington, Northants; Bucks
Hillyard, Lebatt & Bodsworth - Piddington, Northants
Bonner - Warwickshire & Leicestershire
Caughlin - Clonmore Co. Wicklow/Carlow
Muzzell - Sussex
Jones - Rushbury, Shropshire; Nuneaton & Birmingham, Warwickshire; Piddington & Northampton, Northants
Penhorwood - Devon
Shutt - Devon & Kent
Oliver, Davies & James - Pembrokeshire
Green, Enser, Oldham, Bramman, Billings & Watmough - Nottinghamshire