Author Topic: BRICK WALL: Joseph & Ann Johnson of Woolwich, Kent, late 1700s/early 1800s  (Read 1192 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I wonder if anyone would be willing to please cast a fresh pair of eyes over a brick wall I have hit.

My ancestor Joseph Johnson and his wife Ann had the following children baptised in Woolwich, Kent (now London):

William Johnson 1781–1781
William Johnson 1783–
Joseph Johnson 1785–
Woodworth Johnson 1787–1808
Elizabeth Johnson\Vaughan 1789–1855
Richard Strickland Johnson 1791–
James Johnson 1793–
Thomas Johnson 1796–
Jane Johnson 1798–

Their daughter Elizabeth married Nathaniel Vaughan and is from whom I descended.

Ann Johnson is shown living with her daughter and son-in-law in the 1841 census in Woolwich and shows that she was NOT born in Kent. The census and her age at death in 1844 show she was born c1758-1761.

However I have been unable to find her marriage to Joseph Johnson around 1781 and also have never been able to find Joseph's death (presumably in Woolwich) between 1796 and 1841.

A Joseph Johnson was a witness to Elizabeth's marriage to Nathaniel Vaughan in 1811 but I have no idea if this was her father or brother.

The evident surnames Woodnorth and Strickland used for the first names of Joseph and Ann's children I hoped would be a clue but at present they have led to nothing.

A William Strickland was the other witness to their daughter Elizabeth's marriage in 1811 and despite looking at the Stricklands in Woolwich I have not been able to link anything.

I have found a marriage of a Ann Strickland and Joseph Johnson in 1783 in Alverstoke, Hampshire, but this would be after the birth of their first child in Woolwich in 1781.

What has also not helped is that of all the children of Joseph and Ann Johnson, other than my ancestor Elizabeth Johnson/Vaughan, the others I have found virtually no trace of.

None except Woodnorth Johnson who appears to have had marriage banns in 1808 in Islington, but as far as I can tell did not actually marry his intended bride Elizabeth King.

So I am all at a bit of a dead end here and am very much hoping someone else may please be able to help me get back further.

Thanks,
Jon

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: BRICK WALL: Joseph & Ann Johnson of Woolwich, Kent, late 1700s/early 1800s
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 February 17 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Not much help I know ~ have you access to Elizabeth and Nathaniels marriage entry?

There is a marriage of a W Strickland widower and an Ann Plehey widow 7 Nov 1814 at St Botolph without Bishopsgate, I think his signature looks rather like the one on your ancestors marriage

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 February 17 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Jane Johnson married David Nightingale 10 Nov. 1816 St Nicholas Plumstead. Nathaniel Vaughan witnessed the marriage along with a H Manning.

EDIT: Has this death been checked out

Greenwich: Joseph Johnson buried 1836 Greenwich

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 February 17 14:18 GMT (UK) »
How did you confirm that the first two kids were born to that particular Joseph and ann?
I'd expect the line of sprogs to start named for the parents themselves, so a little before 1783, not 1781.
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 February 17 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for the replies.

I hadn't seen that William Strickland marriage but it could be the same man indeed. I attach the 1811 marriage entry of Nathaniel Vaughan and Elizabeth Johnson which has the signatures of William Strickland and Josh Johnson (presumably her father or her brother Joseph).

I am really pleased about that 1816 marriage too as that counts for one of the other children. I can't seem to find any children for David and Jane Nightingale yet so will have to do a bit of digging to see if I can find them.

The 1836 burial for Greenwich Hospital for Joseph Johnson aged 85 would certainly fit but would then mean he had served in the Royal Navy. Given the regular births of children I am not sure if this is likely but it could be.

This Joseph Johnson's Greenwich Hospital record is presumably this one on TNA:

Reference:   ADM 73/13/117
Description:   
Joseph Johnson, dates served: 20 October 1780-12 November 1789; when admitted to Greenwich Hospital: Not Stated.
Date:   1791-1859   

As for the 1781 and 1783 baptisms it is true they could be to another Joseph and Ann Johnson for sure, but as the dates fitted I have for now assumed they are their children. Hopefully time will tell!

This all gives me something more to ponder and look into so thank you all very much,
Jon

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 February 17 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There is a possible burial of a JANE NIGHTINGALE  at St John's Hackney

Abode: Newington Street, aged 19, buried 9 April 1817

I can't see children either

claire

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 February 17 20:33 GMT (UK) »
A possible connection?

IGI has a Woodnorth Johnson bap. 1752 at St.Mary Castlegate, York  father Joseph

There's also two Joseph Johnsons baptised same church.  Father Joseph. One in 1753 the other in 1761.

ADDED   Father Joseph was a waterman

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 February 17 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Good find Lily M  :)

Woodnorth son of Joseph Johnson a waterman bpt. 29 Feb. 1752

Joseph son of J Johnson waterman bpt. 16 Nov 1753

Joseph son of Joseph Johnson a drumer ??  bpt. 29 Mar 1761

EDIT: SAME CHURCH: St Mary, Castlegate

Joseph Johnson batchelor, waterman, married MARY BOCOCK spinster, 20 Dec 1750 both OTP

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 February 17 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Goodness that is a great find indeed! Thank you. That looks highly likely to me given the Joseph and the Woodnorth names. I will go have a little look but thanks again.