Author Topic: Photograph dating and general information - Hunter family Stockton/Liverpool  (Read 716 times)

Offline Sarahjones1993

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi all,

I've discovered even more photos of my Mum's Dad's side of the family and found a couple of crackers. I'm not sure exactly *who* these people are in relation to me but I am attempting to find out some background information.

There seems to be an army theme going on and I am aware that my 2nd great grandfather did enrol in the army around WW1 so at a guess I think they could relate to him. If anybody could help me with dates or tell me anything about these pictures it would help the increasing curiosity in my mind!

Thanks very much,

(Sorry for the vague location - I know that my 3rd gen were from Stockton and then moved down to Liverpool!)

Sarah.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Photograph dating and general information - Hunter family Stockton/Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 February 17 16:47 GMT (UK) »
The lady's dress style is typical late WW1 however she is standing over a CWGC headstone or as it was called when it was formed in 1917 the IWGC.
It could have been taken overseas (France/Belgium) or in the UK.
I'm not sure when these types of headstones were first used in the UK but certainly overseas they weren't used until the late 20's.
So if it's UK it could be post war - early 20's.
She's holding an oval frame which is probably a photo of the fallen soldier.
Did she lose a son/brother WW1 ?
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Photograph dating and general information - Hunter family Stockton/Liverpool
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 February 17 20:18 GMT (UK) »
The gravestones are definitely like those used in WW1 War graves in Northern France. It might be possible with a bit of enhancement to work out what the regiments were.
The wedding photo looks like WW2 period or just after when the men were still in uniform. It also looks like a double wedding with two brides each holding a gigantic bouquet.
I heard tell that during and after WW2 due to rationing proper wedding dresses were scarce and so often one dress served a number of local girls.Many  women wore uniform, a nice day dress or a suit or "costume" as they were called in those days.

Offline aus*jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 February 17 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Agree that wedding photo is WW2.    I think the bride is in the centre of the photo and the women on the extreme left and right wearing identical dresses are the bridesmaids.

Jen.
Boland   NSW, Australia
Gibbs   S.Aust. & Queensland
Jennings NSW, Australia
Page  Coventry UK, Queensland Aust.
Sellars (Sellard) Gloucestershire
Kirby  Lechlade, Gloucestershire
Hampshire  Stepney, Middlesex & Hampshire
Goddard,  Isle of Wight
Cushen, Isle of Wight
Keys,  Tyrone Ireland & NSW Australia

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 February 17 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Yes there are two bridesmaids. I hadn't scrolled the photo across so I'd not spotted the girl on the right!
They were doing rather well at the time if they could muster all those frocks. The bride must have been delighted. Doesn't she look happy. Hope that life went well for them .