Author Topic: My Newbury/Berkshire family  (Read 19624 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My Newbury/Berkshire family
« Reply #108 on: Monday 03 April 17 15:27 BST (UK) »

I have posted some possible details below for Thomas in the 1861, 1851 and 1841 census. Although in the 1861 census he is recorded as being born in Chetton Wiltshire and in 1851 he is recorded as being born in Chilton Berkshire his age fits and he is at the same address in both 1851 and 1861.

With some of my rellies, I have had confusion between Chilton, Berks and Chilton, Wilts for birthplace of same person. I discovered in my case it was Chilton Foliat close to the county border and not the Chilton just off the A34 near Harwell
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Nanny and Grandad married in 1921
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Monday 03 April 17 15:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lizzie that makes sense

Found this:

https://tinyurl.com/kdck3bw

Offline Anthony J Mayo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Saturday 08 June 19 15:42 BST (UK) »
Am new to all of this but being a Mayo am interested in Mary (?) wife of John Totty Mayo born 1777. All I can gather is that she was born abt 1780. Has anyone found out more; parents, death,siblings etc?

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Sunday 09 June 19 01:15 BST (UK) »
Am new to all of this but being a Mayo am interested in Mary (?) wife of John Totty Mayo born 1777. All I can gather is that she was born abt 1780. Has anyone found out more; parents, death,siblings etc?

Hi Anthony this post was awhile ago now but I re read a bit of it and I don’t think anything more was ever found on Mary the Newbury records being patchy online but Chris did an amazing job and helped me so much but I don’t think more was found the marriage would hold the key.  I will have another look when I have a moment.

My ancestor was Frederick Mayo Wade it was from him we discovered our Mayo family roots.  I have a tree on ancestry.

Blessings
Deb

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Sunday 09 June 19 13:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Anthony,

A little info for you:

This is John Totty Mayo (recorded as John Potty Mayo) in the 1851 census (on familysearch):

https://tinyurl.com/yyqap7qa

and Mary Mayo recorded as May in the 1851 census (records birth place as Newark Nottinghamshire):

https://tinyurl.com/yydyletq

Death for Mary
MAYO, MARY        aged 83 
GRO Reference: 1861  M Quarter in NEWBURY  Volume 02C  Page 143

Burial: Mary Mayo 14th Feb 1861 St Nicolas Newbury

Death for John Totty:

MAYO, JOHN  TOTTY      aged 82 
GRO Reference: 1859  D Quarter in NEWBURY  Volume 02C  Page 141

Burial: John Totty Mayo 19th Oct 1859 St Nicolas Newbury

Kind regards
Chris

Offline Anthony J Mayo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Sunday 09 June 19 20:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Chris. If Mary came from Newark it possibly explains the mystery of her surname in that the wedding was probably in Newark so no point in hunting for the marriage cert records for Berkshire! 

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Monday 10 June 19 08:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Anthony,

A little info for you:

This is John Totty Mayo (recorded as John Potty Mayo) in the 1851 census (on familysearch):

https://tinyurl.com/yyqap7qa

and Mary Mayo recorded as May in the 1851 census (records birth place as Newark Nottinghamshire):

https://tinyurl.com/yydyletq

Death for Mary
MAYO, MARY        aged 83 
GRO Reference: 1861  M Quarter in NEWBURY  Volume 02C  Page 143

Burial: Mary Mayo 14th Feb 1861 St Nicolas Newbury

Death for John Totty:

MAYO, JOHN  TOTTY      aged 82 
GRO Reference: 1859  D Quarter in NEWBURY  Volume 02C  Page 141

Burial: John Totty Mayo 19th Oct 1859 St Nicolas Newbury

Kind regards
Chris

Once again amazing job! Thank you so much Chris
Blessings
Deb

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Monday 10 June 19 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Anthony and Deb,

Quote from Anthony:
If Mary came from Newark it possibly explains the mystery of her surname in that the wedding was probably in Newark so no point in hunting for the marriage cert records for Berkshire! 

Not necessarily they could have married in another local Berkshire parish (other that St Nicolas Newbury which is the only parish that I have checked).

Not sure if you have these burials but just in case you don't:

Burial for father of John Totty Mayo born c1777:

St Nicolas Newbury
29th July 1807
Totty Mayo
Aged 59

After a long illness, in the 60th year of his age, Totty Mayo, a reputable Bookseller and Printer, of Newbury

and mother of John Totty Mayo

St Nicolas Newbury
9th May 1821
Amy Mayo
Aged 83

and a little snippet on John Totty Mayo:

Saturday 23rd April 1842

Borough Police - On Saturday last, before J Lewis Esq., Mayor and E W Gray Esq., John Totty Mayo, sexton of Newbury church, was convicted of an assault in obstructing the affixing a notice of vestry upon the church door.

and a more detailed account:

Police Office- On Saturday morning the 9th inst. before J Lewis Esq., Mayor and E W Gray Esq., Justice- John Toddy Mayo sexton of Newbury Church was summoned for an assault commited on Mr A Beckhuson. The case occupied a considerable time, commencing at 12 o'clock and not closing until nearly 4. Both the parties employed solicitors, R F Graham Esq., appearing for the plaintiff and J Vine Esq., for the defendant. The case was shortly this, Mr Beckhuson was requested, a few Sundays since, to fix a notice (which had previously been signed by three of the overseers of the parish) on the church doors announcing that a public vestry would be held for the purpose of taking into consideration the expediency of stopping up some public footpaths in the East Fields and substituting others in their stead and when he was in the act, and had succeeded in placing a wafer on one corner of the paper on the board usually left on the door, Mr Mayo opened the inner glass door, which was then shut, rushed out, tore the notice down and with some degree of violence thrust Mr Beckhuson away. He also struck him in the side; this circumstance was corroborated by a clerk of Mr Graham's. Mayo, it appears, told Mr Beckhuson, that he was desired by the rector, Dr Binney, not to allow the notice to be affixed as he had not been consulted previously.  The assault being clearly proved, the magistrates of course, sustained a charge, but as the object of the party was not to inflict a heavy fine, the decision of the court was, that he should be fined one shilling or be imprisioned for seven days. Although the fine was small, yet from the lengthened depositions, the expenses, which will be included, will amount to 14 shillings more, and 1 shilling for his journey from Oxford.

ADDED:

A possibility perhaps!

Findmypast has a marriage for a John Mayo and Mary Dear in 1803 in Twyford Hampshire (approx 30 miles from Newbury) which would fit timewise as 1st baptism found in Newbury was in 1804 and John's parents Totty and Amy Mayo (nee North) were married in Hampshire.

Kind regards
Chris

Offline Anthony J Mayo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Monday 10 June 19 22:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Chris. On a walking holiday so will take this in more detail when I get home at the end of the week.