Author Topic: My Newbury/Berkshire family  (Read 19626 times)

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: My Newbury/Berskshire family
« Reply #18 on: Monday 13 February 17 00:56 GMT (UK) »
Chris ... the marriage record on find my past ... would the written one have more information? The marriage between Martha Grubb and Joseph Wade widower on 21st November 1831 by Banns st Nicolas Newbury Berkshire.  Or would that be all?  Perhaps you check when next able to? 

Their son Frederick was born March 1832 Oakingham which I'm told is old name for Wokingham.  So it seems they had to get married as Fred would have well and truly been on the way. 

Joseph may remain a mystery as I can't find a record that actually says where he was from?

I thought they might show up on an Irish cencus seeing as he died there and his daughter Isabella married there although her first child was born in Canada as her husband was also a soldier and I guess that's what makes it difficult.  at least Fred's records revealed where he was posted.  Actually perhaps I could find out where and when his unit was between 1842 and 1863? They might give me some clues.

Blessings
Deb

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Nanny and Grandad married in 1921
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deb,

I don't think that the marriage record would show much more info, possibly witnesses names and the signitures or marks of the bride and groom but I will take a look for you (hopefully tomorrow).

Chris

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 15:51 GMT (UK) »

Hi Deb,

Some info for you (ALL FROM THE PARISH REGISTERS OF ST NICOLAS NEWBURY):

GRUBB FAMILY

John and Mary Grubb (nee Paradise) marry in 1806

Baptisms for their children:

Martha born 21st Sept and baptised 16th October 1808
Elizabeth born 17th April and baptised 13th May 1810
Maria born 30th July and baptised 20th August 1812
John baptised 24th July 1814 (abode: Bartholomew Street Newbury)
Ann baptised 3rd April 1816 (abode: Newbury)
Thomas baptised 14th March 1819 (abode: Newbury)

John, Mary and their eldest 4 children in Joseph Toomer’s census of Newbury in 1815:

Abode: Pound Street Newbury (South Side)
John Grubb aged 30       occ: Carpenter
Mary Grubb aged 30
Martha Grubb aged 6
Elizabeth Grubb aged 5
Maria Grubb aged 3
John (Infant)

Father John dies in 1820 aged 37

Then possibly another child born to Mary:

Baptism:25th April 1822 Louisa Grubb illegitimate daughter of Mary Grubb and Thomas Croft both of Newbury (father’s occ: Hairdresser)

Burial: 1st May 1822 Louisa Grubb aged 1 month

Parents of John Grubb:

Thomas Grubb born c1745  and Martha Gray born c1754

Marriage Banns: for this couple were 21st July 28th July and 4th August 1782

Baptism: 3rd August 1783 John Grubb son of Thomas and Martha Grubb

Thomas & Martha Grubb  in the 1815 Toomers census:

Abode: Northbrook Street Newbury (Wash Side)

Thomas Grubb aged 66 (recorded in occ; column, Royal Oak, so possibly an Inn Keeper)
Martha Grubb aged 60
Elizabeth Grubb aged 10
Ann Stillman aged 15
Sergeant Miles
Mary Miles aged 34
Nicholas Miles aged 9
1 soldier billeted

Burials:

26th February 1819 Thomas Grubb aged 74

7th January 1820 Martha Grubb aged 66

Chris

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deb,

PARADISE FAMILY:

John Paridise born c1751 marries Mary Mayo born c1754

Marriage Banns for this couple: 4th, 11th, and 18th June 1780

Baptism: 17th January 1782 Sarah daughter of John & Mary Paradise

(Please note I could not check for any other baptisms after 1783 as there seems to be a gap between 1783- 1799 and I could not see a baptism for a Mary Paradise before 1783)

I strongly believe that John and Mary Paradise (nee Mayo) were the parents of Mary Paradise born c1781 as John and Mary's daughter Martha uses Mayo as Frederick's middle name.

Mary died in 1808 aged 54 and was buried on 20th December 1808

John Paradise in the Toomers 1815 census:

Abode: Bartholomew Street Newbury (West Side)

John Paradise aged 64
James Paradise aged 25
Maria Paradise aged 17
Maria Liddiard aged 22

John Paradise died 1834 aged 83 and was buried 14th January 1834

Hope the following answers some of your queries:

“ I then traced Emma Eeles and found her with her brother and father on the 1851 census and just to make it interesting I found her in two future census living with Stephen and Ann Knight Newbury, she is listed as cousin.  I looked at Ann Knight first and it seems her maiden name was Paradise so possibly a niece of Mary Grubb? “

It looks like John and Mary Paradise also had a son John born c1794 who married Maria Liddiard (presumably the one living with the Paradise family in 1815) on 28th August 1815.

Children of this couple:

Baptisms;

25th Feb 1821 Elizabeth daughter of John & Maria Paradise of Newbury (father's occ: Shoemaker)
25th Dec 1823 Ann daughter of John & Maria Paradise of Newbury (father's occ: Cordwainer)<<<<
30th Apr 1828 Emily daughter of John & Maria Paridise of Newbury (father's occ: Shoemaker)

<<<<<<<<This Ann is the one who married Stephen Knight

Marriage details:

Groom: Stephen Knight, full age, Bachelor, occ: Tinman & Brazier
Bride: Anne Paradise,full age, Spinster
Grooms Father: William Knight occ: Wharfinger
Brides Father: John Paradise occ: Cordwainer
Witnesses: William Knight and Elizabeth Edwell (her sister, she married Henry Edwin Edwell in 1846)

Baptisms:

17th July 1835 Emma Ann Eeles daughter of David & Elizabeth Eeles of Newbury (fathers occ: Bricklayer)

24th July 1836 Ellen Ann daughter of David & Elizabeth Eeles of Newbury (fathers occ: Bricklayer)

As I suspected the marriage record for Joseph Wade and Martha Grubb does not reveal much it's very poor quality and difficult to read but if you would like me to send it to you perhaps you could private message me an email address.

Chris

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 19 February 17 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Chris ..... I just logged in to find you've posted all this information!  For some reason I didn't get the usual email letting me know or I've missed it somehow!  I'm sorry about that ... thank you!! I haven't read it all yet but will now and write a proper response.  Thank you!

Blessings
Deb

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 19 February 17 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Chris ... I can't thank you enough!  I'm so excited by all you've found ... and as soon as I saw that name Mayo ... I knew this is the right family I always suspected that Mayo was someone's surname and you've solved that mystery!! So many pieces of the puzzle have come together.  i can't wait to transfer all of that over to my family tree. 

I've written to the kings royal riffle group to see if they might be able to help me with Jospeh Wade as he still remains a mystery, if only I could find his military papers that might hold a clue as to where he is from.  I find he and Martha are in St Helier Jersey at least twice once in 1836 which is for the baptising of Henry William Wade and it included a God Father William Knott which when I looked into him I found Joseph Wade was a witness at his wedding and it notes he was a Serg Major of the 2nd battalion of the Kings Royal Rifles which I know both Joseph and his son Fredrick Mayo were with that company.  Martha Wade is also then listed as God Mother to William Knott junior in 1837.  Little Henry William must die as he's not with them on the Newbury 1841 cencus.  I know then that the Wades spend time in Ireland as that is where Joseph and I'm pretty sure Martha are now buried.  But looking at information that says where the 2nd battalion of the Kings Royal Rifle were ... they were all over the place.  Joseph and Martha have at least one more son Charles Rodney Wade it's his note book my great grandmother Daisy Wade bought to Australia ... I'm pretty sure I've found him also enlisted and I think he's buried in India.  So on one hand if you are lucky enough to find their military papers you can learn a lot ... Frederick Mayo always on his military papers said he was born in Wokingham near Reading ... pretty sure Martha was already expecting him when he was born.  His sister that appears on the 1841 cencus Isabella Caroline Wade also marries a soldier in Dublin and has at least two children one born in Canada but after military life settle in Ireland.  I do have to wonder if Joseph wasn't Irish?  I will keep digging :-)

But for now I'm ever so excited by all you've found!  Thank you!  It's like being given a treasure box and now I must go examine each piece :-)

Blessings
Deb

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 19 February 17 01:46 GMT (UK) »
Chris ... one more PS ... my dad and myself have a DNA match to family that we have thought all along is via the Mayo family his ancestor was John Totty Mayo born 1777 Newbury Berkshire .. so now I'm positive we are in the right track ... I'm sure our Mary Mayo that you discovered is related to John Totty Mayo .. so I shall have a dig and see what I can find.  That will another mystery solved and DNA to prove it :-)

Thank you!!!!
Deb

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 19 February 17 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Oops I think that is supposed to be John Potley Mayo.  His parents are Daniel and Ann Mayo .. Daniel's birth is 1749 ... so he would be closer in age to Mary Mayo ... perhaps she's his sister?  Either way I have a DNA match to this family. :-)

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 26 February 17 05:02 GMT (UK) »
Chris ... can I ask you one more favour ...next time you are looking at records .. can you take a look at Mary Mayo?  Was the birth you gave for me from her burial or do you know who her parents were. 

I don't think I'm going to get any further with Joseph Wade unless I can find his military records which to date I haven't been able to find.

So I thought I would now see if I can work out the DNA connection to the John Totty Mayo family.  There are some with John Potley Mayo so I'm now thinking these are different men? 

But I've also found a Thomas Totty Mayo and guess what he's a prison Warder ....

So quite the mystery.

So I wasn't sure if with what you had found for me included Mary Mayo's parents?

You've already done so much so I don't want to be a bother ..

Blessings
Deb
I haven't figured out how to private message you so as to not be an annoyance to everyone else :-)