Author Topic: My Newbury/Berkshire family  (Read 19627 times)

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: My Newbury/Berkshire family
« Reply #126 on: Saturday 22 June 19 02:19 BST (UK) »
Bit negative there,  if you don't mind me saying so, Anthony.

Lookimg at the website candrjm posted, There are  a couple of Dear families in baptisms at Twyford in the 1770s and 80s, even a Mary in 1774.

Parents Samuel & Sarah were buried in Twyford while I didn't spot burials for the other couple, John & Mary.

John & Mary had a kid called Science. Might be worth seeing what happened to him (think it was a boy) to see whether John & Mary maybe moved away and had other children .

Still a bit more delving you can do before writing this off, I reckon
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Nanny and Grandad married in 1921
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Saturday 22 June 19 07:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Anthony,

I can't take the credit for finding the parish Twyford records, another researcher named Dea helped with that query.

This is just  a feeling but I think that this might be worth  further investigation. It's possible that John could have married Mary Dear, (daughter of Samuel and Sarah) and that possibly Mary died sometime after 1816 (after son John was born in Thatcham, no death found for Mary) ) then possibly John remarried in Thatcham in 1822, (to 2nd Mary) and they then had Thomas Totty in 1823.

If you do decide to look into this further, the records are held at the Berkshire Records office in Reading Tel: 0118 937 5132

Marriage:
9th June 1822
Thatcham Berkshire
John Mayo + Mary Moulding

Kind regards
Chris

Offline Anthony J Mayo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Monday 24 June 19 15:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks once again Chris. I accept your mild reprimand re Mary Dear. The truth is that your knowledge of where to look for facts coupled with your ability to dig them out just leave me standing!
I have been trying to understand this child called Science. My record of John's children is of Jane 1804, Marry Anne 1806, Robert 1807, William 1813, John 1816 and finally my great, great, great grandfather, Thomas Totty in 1823. Where does Science fit in I wonder? Perhaps he was the first born, with Mary pregnant at the wedding  and hence the reason a licence was required. He also seems to have 'disappeared' quite quickly and the rather unusual name was never, to my knowledge, carried over in the family.
Within the John's children, there are two obvious gaps in otherwise fairly regular births, between 1807 (Robert) and 1813 (William) and then between 1816 (John) and 1823 (Thomas T). This second gap could indeed be accounted for by the death of the first Mary and a possible remarriage in 1822.
Thanks for Berks Records Office details.
Tony

Offline Anthony J Mayo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Monday 24 June 19 15:41 BST (UK) »
Just been checking again. I have Mary Mayo's death as Feb 1861, burial 14th Feb in Newbury. If your thinking is correct, this would be Mary nee Moulding, not Mary nee Dear. The plot thickens!
Tony

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Monday 24 June 19 15:42 BST (UK) »
Is there any chance that the mystery child 'Science' is actually a girl called Silence?

That was my 3x great-grandmother's name (and for some unknown reason people usually point at me and laugh whenever this fact is mentioned)  :D

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Monday 24 June 19 16:21 BST (UK) »
On the Twyfords baptisms Science Dear was the daughter of John and Mary DEAR baptised 6/11/1770 I can't see a Science Mayo in the records so possibly Steve got confused.

Samuel Dear married Sarah Tee 10/2/1766

Children:
Samuel bapt 17/3/1767
Twins John and Sarah bapt 19/9/1768
Rebecca bapt 18/10/1770
Thomas bapt 5/6/1772
Mary baptised 12/4/1774 Possibly married John Mayo in 1803

Sarah Dear (no age given) wife of Samuel Dear was buried 21/7/1803
Samuel Dear aged 81 was buried 23/12/1819

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Monday 24 June 19 17:54 BST (UK) »
It was in reference to giving up on the Dears, so, no, it wasn't me getting confused, maybe causing some though.
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Tuesday 25 June 19 13:20 BST (UK) »
A possibility???

Wondering if this could be Mary's burial (surname mistakenly recorded as Mays, I can't see any other burials with the name Mays buried in Greenham (Greenham is approximately 4 miles from Thatcham)

Mary Mays
Aged 46
3rd Oct 1821
St Mary's Greenham Berkshire

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: Wednesday 26 June 19 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Anthony,

Quote:
A possibility???

Wondering if this could be Mary's burial (surname mistakenly recorded as Mays, I can't see any other burials with the name Mays buried in Greenham (Greenham is approximately 4 miles from Thatcham)

Mary Mays
Aged 46
3rd Oct 1821
St Mary's Greenham Berkshire

Newbury library has a transcribed record of the CMD's  for the parish of Greenham (1770-1840) so as I was in town this morning I popped in to have a look at their transcribed record of Mary Mays burial and they have her name recorded as Mary Mayo.

Chris