Author Topic: McCaldridge/M'Aldridge and McFadden Families Ballymoney married into Taggart.  (Read 6500 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McCaldridge/M'Aldridge and McFadden Families Ballymoney married into Taggart.
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 18 February 17 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Not a complete family tree but it's a start...

Malcolm McFadden (c1812-1894) m. Mary Murphy? (d.bef.1894)
Death https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1894/05960/4693910.pdf
Probate of the Will of Malcolm M'Fadden late of Lower Moyeraig County Antrim Farmer who died 13 August 1894 granted at Belfast to William Kennedy and John Donaghy both of Lower Moycraig Farmers. Will mentions son John, daughter Sarah, granddaughter Jane
1.   Malcolm McFadden (c1847 Ire.) m.(1868) Jane Wilkinson (c1847 Ire.)
2.   Nancy Jane McFadden (c1848 Ire.)- her daughter Jane mentioned in grandfather's will
3.   ? Jane McFadden m.(1898) Patrick Coyle
     https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1898/10422/5794986.pdf
4.   John McFadden (c1860-aft.1911)- mentioned in father’s Will
     www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Drumtullagh/Moycraig_Lower/922716
     www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Drumtullagh/Moycraig__Hamilton/113994
5.   Sarah McFadden (c1862-aft.1911)- mentioned in father’s Will

Malcolm McFadden (c1847 Ire.) m.(1868) Jane Wilkinson (c1847 Ire.)
1881 census- 6 Tower St., Dennistoun, Glasgow Barony, Lanarkshire: Malcolm McFadyen (34) gen. lab., Jane McFadyen (34), Elizabeth McFadyen (11), Thomas McFadyen (9), Neil McFadyen (6), Robert McFadyen (3), Malcolm McFadyen (8 mo.).
1901 census- 7 Forge St., Dennistoun, Glasgow Springburn, Lanarksbhire: Malcolm McFadyen (50) quarrier, Jane McFadyen (51), Thomas McFadyen (28), Robert McFadyen (23), Malcolm McFadyen (21), James McFadyen (19).
a.   Isabella/Elizabeth McFadden (1869 Ire.-aft.1881)
b.   Thomas McFadden (1871 Ire.-aft.1901)
c.   Mary Jane McFadden (1873 Ire.)
     Birth https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1873/03188/2168852.pdf
d.   Neal McFadden (1875 Ire.-aft.1881)
     Birth https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1875/03093/2134012.pdf
e.   Robert McFadden (c1878-aft.1901)
f.   Malcolm McFadden (1880-aft.1901)
g.   James McFadden (c1882-aft.1901)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McCaldridge/M'Aldridge and McFadden Families Ballymoney married into Taggart.
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 18 February 17 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Nancy Jane McFadden (c1848 Ire.-1915 Scot.) ?m.(22 June 1871 Ballymoney) William McCambridge (could this be William Denham?).
A William Denham m.(1869 Ballycastle) Alicia _. can't find death for her yet.
1891 census- 6 Cobden St., Dennistoun, Glasgow Townhead, Lanarkshire: William Denholm (43), Nancy Denholm (41), Elera? Denholm (28), Sarah Denholm (18) Ire., Mary Denholm (15), Anne Denholm (13), Maggie Denholm (9), Charles Denholm (4), Malcolm Denholm (2).
a.   Elizabeth McFadden (1865) to Scotland
     https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1865/03565/2313146.pdf
b.   Jane McFadden (1869-aft.1911)- father William McCaldrige, Carnkirk (note mother Nancy Jane McFadden informant). Mentioned in grandfather’s Will- she seems to have been raised by McFadden grandparents in Ireland.
c.   Sarah Denham (1872-aft.1891)- father William Denham
     https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1872/03264/2196278.pdf 
d.   ? Mary Denham (c1876 Ire)- in 1891 census
e.   ? Anne Denham (c1876 ire)- in 1891 census
f.   Margaret Denham (1881)
     https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1881/02819/2034058.pdf
g.   Charles Denham (1886)
     https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1886/02595/1958411.pdf
h.   Malcolm Denham (1888)- surname changed on certificate
     https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1888/02498/1926416.pdf

Jane McFadden (1869-aft.1916)
i.   Malcolm Thompson/McFadden (1893-1916)
ii.   William McFadden (c1896-1906) 
     https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1906/05556/4559137.pdf
iii.   Sarah McFadden (1902)
     https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1902/01914/1741882.pdf
iv.   John McFadden (1904)
     https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1904/01842/1718514.pdf
v.   Jeanie Mary McFadden (1906)
     https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1906/01722/1681190.pdf
vi.   Sidney/Nelson McFadden (1909)
     https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1909/01616/1647702.pdf

Offline Sandel1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 20 February 17 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Aghadowey - thank you so much for sacrificing so much of your Saturday on our behalf. 

These were very useful pointers, and the revelations about William McCambridge/Denham have led me to believe that he is not in our direct line of ancestry.  When looking at the Church Records for Toberkeigh Presbyterian in the town library some weeks ago I misread McCambridge as McCaldridge for a second or two, and I can see how the one name might be derived from the other, but Denham is a mystery.  (I think the Denham bride of 1969 may have been McGugan widow of John McGugan).

I confirmed our situation by seeking out Nancy Jane McFadden's marriage to Wm McCambridge to note his father's name and address.  It was William McCambridge also, of Gracehill (where both Nancy and William her groom were living at marriage) near Ballymoney, the neighbouring  townland to Carnkirn where William McCaldrige lived at daughter Jane's birth , also beside Mullaghduff where my known ancestor William Alexander known as M'Aldridge lived.  The latter's father was Thomas, so not the same person but perhaps related.  Significantly I think, all surnames had the same ending.

If Rowan 33 makes contact perhaps we can see if the ancestors she enquired about were Malcolm McFaddens two daughters including the above Nancy Jane which makes the McFadden side of the link valid - she and I are both descendants of William Alexander/M'Aldridge/McFadden.
McFadden, McCaldridge, M'Aldridge, Gordon, Robb, McDonald

Offline Sandel1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 25 February 17 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Have exhausted McFadden ancestry resources available to me and they have in turn exhausted me.  I conclude that the earliest I can go back with certainty for direct ancestry is John McFadden of Knockanavery born circa 1823.

Turned my attention to Taggart ancestry as Ann Eliza was my great-grandmother marrying William known as Alexander/McCaldridge/McFadden in 1896.   Marriage cert states her father George Taggart farmer of Deffrick, Billy Parish.  Her age as 25 years, born 1871 approx.

The only George Taggart of suitable age on 1901 census for the area was located at Ballyoglagh in Billy Parish, but his children are listed on irishgeneaology.ie  from late 1870s  and no registration appears to have been made for an Ann Eliza, though 1911 census shows him as married from 1874 approx, so it is possible that she was born earlier in marriage.  I have compared the quarter, volume and page no on marriages for George Taggart and Elizabeth ? on irishgenealogy.ie (tedious but it works if you have part of the info for one partner only) and reckon she was Elizabeth Erwin from Coleraine and the year seems to agree.

The Toberkeigh Presbyterian records in the local library are practically impossible to read for 1870s but I saw George's later family listed (with difficulty).

If Ann Eliza was his daughter she was probably a lot younger than stated on her marriage lines.  If she was the age stated she might be the daughter of Thomas and Matilda Taggart who have a daughter of same name on irishgeneaology.ie 1872 which would fit her age better as Ann Eliza McFadden on 1901 census, but why would she have quoted wrong forename for her father?   Perhaps her father George was another George who had no registrations of any sort?

Anyone with Taggart info in this area would be most welcome to comment. 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 25 February 17 22:46 GMT (UK) »
The marriage doesn't say "her father George Taggart farmer of Deffrick, Billy Parish." It says the BRIDE's residence was Deffrick and that her father George Taggart's occupation was farmer.

In the Valuation Revision book covering that period no Taggarts are listed and only McFadden is a James McFadden.

Offline Sandel1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 25 February 17 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Interesting angle that I hadn't thought of - had presumed that registrations of that era would have always  placed the bride in her father's home, but I can now see that it probably wasn't the case for Ann Eliza.

I somehow don't feel the family were from the other side of Ballymoney.  Maybe she was eldest daughter of George of Ballyoglagh, especially as I now know my gran and her sister were born before parental marriage, she may have had to quit the family home and set up in Deffrick. I think it would have been a couple of miles or so away.

Thanks Aghadowey, you've got me thinking from a different viewpoint!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 25 February 17 23:16 GMT (UK) »
She could have been working as a servant in Deffrick at the time she married- women often didn't have an occupation listed on marriage certificate.

Offline Sandel1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 25 September 17 20:02 BST (UK) »
It's been a good six months and I have made great inroads on the McFaddens.  They changed their name to McFadden unofficially from M'Aldridge or Alexander, having been descended from McCaldridge of Glengad, the Vow, Ballymoney.   

The ancestor is William McCaldridge who was born around 1850 and married Mary Ann McFadden daughter of John (son of Andrew McFadden) and Rose McFadden of Knockanavery having changed his name to William Alexander.  They had a son William Alexander in 1874 who married Ann Eliza Taggart in 1896.Tthey  registered his children as McAldridge, and later took his mother's maiden name of McFadden .

A William McCambridge in 1871 married Nancy Jane McFadden of Moycraig, daughter of Malcolm McFadden, he changed their name to Denham/Denholm, and they lived between Moycraig and Dennistoun, Glasgow, having children at both locations leaving one, Jane at Moycraig premanently  She had been born to Nancy Jane and William McCaldridge (same as McCambridge?).  Their grandson was Malcolm McFadden of Drumtullagh commemorated as having disappeared at the Somme (Mosside Presbyterian Church).

DNA evidence has connected our two families, but we don't know if it was through the McFadden brides who might have been related, or if the same William married both girls bigamously.  Mary Ann Alexander last known name has disappeared from history after giving birth to her son William in 1874.  She had a sister who married into Walker of this area.  Bushvale is one of the McFadden churches but they have no formal burial records.  In short I am trying to find out how many William McCaldridges lived in this area in the 1870s and if Andrew and Malcolm McFadden of Knockanavery and Moycraig were relatives.  Any info leading to either link being established appreciated.  Sorry it is rather complicated.

A second query from a new found McFadden relative.  She is trying to trace her great grandfather James McFadden born 1877 who married a Nellie McLean of Laurel Hill Coleraine, and this lady died in 1916, whereupon he married Robina Greer.  His birth and death places are unknown.

Robina and James had a daughter Catherine Robina McFadden who married James McFadden, born 1917, a brother to McFadden of Drumtullagh, born after his death at the Somme.  We are trying to trace this James' burial place in Antrim too.  Any help on either to these two above appreciated.