Author Topic: McCaldridge/M'Aldridge and McFadden Families Ballymoney married into Taggart.  (Read 6538 times)

Offline Sandel1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My grandmother was Mary Ann (Minnie) McFadden born circa 1896 possibly Ballycregagh Ballymoney.  She was born to William and Ann(a) Eliza either Taggart/Teggert (possibly Mc before either), McTeague or McTague.  Have just discovered the name McFadden was assumed by her father William when he was really McCaldridge.  Her siblings William, Alexander, George, James, Martha all on FamilySearch as M'Aldridge.  Minnie and her older sister Jane (Jeannie) untraceable on any ancestry database re births.  I find a William McCaldridge married to Anna Eliza ? on an old rootschat thread in 1896 so older girls possibly illegitimate. Jeannie married John Hickinson of Dervock.  Any help on what their names might have been appreciated.  Want Grandma's birth cert so cannot get it without surname.  Also see old thread refers to McCaldridge becoming Alexander and contributers wonder why change, I also wonder why to McFadden.  We too have Alexander in each generation of our family forenames.
McFadden, McCaldridge, M'Aldridge, Gordon, Robb, McDonald

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McCaldridge/M'Aldridge and McFadden Families Ballymoney married into Taggart.
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 February 17 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Some variations of Alexander in Ballymoney area listed in this thread-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,359087.0.html

Offline Sandel1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McCaldridge/M'Aldridge and McFadden Families Ballymoney married into Taggart.
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Sincere thanks to Sinann and Aghadowey for providing the breakthrough that I needed.  The marriage cert show that my Great-grandmother was indeed Taggart, but from Ballyoglagh, not Loughguile as my Mother had always believed.
The whole name change scenario became more interesting when I received this info, and delved deeper.  My Great-grandfather, known as William McFadden, was married as William McCaldridge, but his birth reg found just tonight shows him as William Alexander born 15/11/74 to William Alexander and spouse Mary Ann McFadden at Knockannbery (Knockanavery?). He had three surnames in a lifetime, finally adopting his Mother's maiden name!  I feel we have skeletons in our closet.
Thanks for research into his children's registrations, and I confirm that George whilst noted as a different age on 1911 census appears to have been born in 1901 - unfortunately I have not yet found any of his family.
I sadly conclude that my Grandmother Minnie and her older sister Jane/Jeannie were not registered at birth - Grandma was born in 1896, her parents marriage in December of that year render her illegitimate as was Jane.  I think they were never registered and I have a copy of Bushvale register of their joint adult baptism.  However sites provided last night on RootsChat have allowed me to have a copy of my Grandparents marriage cert Bushvale 15 Nov 1918 Minnie McFadden to John Gordon.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 February 17 09:06 GMT (UK) »
If Jane and Minnie were born before their parents/mother married then they would most likely be registered under mother's surname.

Offline Sandel1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 February 17 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Have used the ancestry sites mentioned here to no avail for birth registrations for Jean and Mary Ann (Minnie) McFadden, alias McCaldridge, Alexander probably born Taggart.  1892 - 1897 span used.

Am now wondering how many people called William McCaldrige lived in latter half of 19th century north Antrim, as William Mc Calrige was married to Nancy McFadden with a daughter Jane baptised at Croagh in 1869, per FamilySearch, not sure if related,  and William my ancestor was born William Alexander 1875 son of William Alexander and Mary Ann McFadden of Knockanavery, approx 10 miles away and reverted to his father's name McCaldrige for a time.  Could this be the father of both who married two McFadden brides?   

Any info welcome.