Author Topic: "Lettyce" Gadd  (Read 539 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
"Lettyce" Gadd
« on: Wednesday 08 February 17 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me if the name "Lettyce" could be a variation or mistranscription of Alice?

My ancestor Lawrence Gadd had five children: Richard (1574), Lawrence (1576), Lettyce (1579/80), Anthony (1582) and Anne (1588). All born in Shere.

Richard married Joan Davies in 1597, Lettyce married Richard Bicknolde in 1600, and I know from Wills that Anthony married Joan Weller but not when.

I recently discovered the Will of Richard Weller of Worplesdon (died 1645) which provides the following information. In it he mentions "Anthony Gad", "my sister Joan Gad" and "Alice Bicknoll". He also names Joan's three children (Anthony Gadd, Henry Gadd, and John Gadd) and names his brother in law Anthony Gadd as executor.

My suspicion is that Alice Bicknoll is the same person as "Lettyce Gadd" who married Richard Bicknolde in 1600.

Any thoughts welcomed

Thanks
Matt

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Lettyce" Gadd
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 17:03 GMT (UK) »
It is a different name from Alice. Laetitia is Latin for happiness, hence the name Lettice and its variants.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: "Lettyce" Gadd
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 20:47 GMT (UK) »
It is a different name from Alice. Laetitia is Latin for happiness, hence the name Lettice and its variants.

Many thanks for that. I hadn't heard of the name Laetitia before but it's good to know I was right to think that 'Lettyce' and Alice were the same person.

Matt