Author Topic: Annie Bell Wannan born 1909  (Read 9611 times)

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Annie Bell Wannan born 1909
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 11 February 17 07:03 GMT (UK) »
I found a divorce in Florida for a Maurice J. Ayers and Muriel Ayers which was granted in Apr 1966 in Dade County, Florida.

Weirdly (par for the course with Muriel it would seem), there is an entry in the Social Security Death Index for a Maurice J. Ayers who was born on 5 Feb 1927 and died 12 Dec 2013. The SSN was issued in New York. Now the weird part, there is an obituary for a Maurice James Ayers with the same birth and death dates in the Victoria (British Columbia) Times Colonist but there is no mention of his ever living or working in the US. The obituary mentions he was pre-deceased by his first and second wife but neither was named Muriel. This may or may not be the same Maurice who divorced Muriel.
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/timescolonist/obituary.aspx?n=Maurice-James-AYERS&pid=168643994

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 11 February 17 07:55 GMT (UK) »
I think I may have discovered why Annie disappeared - she seems to have used different given names.

There is a border crossing document dated 9 Mar 1936 for a Patricia Wannan entering the US from Canada. The entry says she was going to visit her sister Mrs. Janet McKay of Cleveland for 6 weeks and that she arrived in Quebec in Apr 1929 on the Athenia. She was 26 and born in Inderovat, Scotland and was living at 3238 Joseph St., Verdun, Quebec. She lists her father, Robert of Dundee, Scotland as her nearest relative from where she came as well as a friend, Mrs. Catudal with the same Verdun address. There was also a note on the document saying she was warned not to overstay her visit.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9T4-WLNV?mode=g&cc=1876434

It's also stamped "REFUNDED" which I have no idea what that means.

From checking the Montreal directory for 1934-1935, there is a Leo Catudal listed at the 3238 Joseph St, Verdun address. He is listed at that address until 1937-1938 but I can't find him after that.

In the 1933-1934 directory, there is a Miss Anne Wannan at apt 7, 1500 St Matthew but she's not listed in 1934-1935. I also saw a couple of entries in the early 1930s for a Miss E. Wannan at different addresses.

Now to try to find out what happened to her after her 1936 visit.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 11 February 17 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra and Jacquie

Talk about growing arms and legs  :o  Annie seems to have been quite a lass by all accounts  ;)

I have to admit that I'm getting a wee bit confused - maybe an ageist thing in my case - with all the "beaus" she seems to have had in tow after heading off "over the pond" in 1929!

I really appreciate your input to this thread in trying to find out what happened to Annie but I think I need to resort to pencil and paper to work everything out before the Family Tree Maker program starts sending out wee puffs of smoke  :D

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 11 February 17 10:47 GMT (UK) »
OOPS  ::)  No wonder my brain was starting to hurt!  I'm not complaining - far from it - but I've just realized we may have gone a wee bit "off thread" here concentrating on Muriel Carson, Janet's daughter - Annie's niece - as well  :-[

Back to the drawing board!

Keep the information flowing  ;)

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 11 February 17 11:25 GMT (UK) »
I found a divorce in Florida for a Maurice J. Ayers and Muriel Ayers which was granted in Apr 1966 in Dade County, Florida.

Weirdly (par for the course with Muriel it would seem), there is an entry in the Social Security Death Index for a Maurice J. Ayers who was born on 5 Feb 1927 and died 12 Dec 2013. The SSN was issued in New York. Now the weird part, there is an obituary for a Maurice James Ayers with the same birth and death dates in the Victoria (British Columbia) Times Colonist but there is no mention of his ever living or working in the US. The obituary mentions he was pre-deceased by his first and second wife but neither was named Muriel. This may or may not be the same Maurice who divorced Muriel.
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/timescolonist/obituary.aspx?n=Maurice-James-AYERS&pid=168643994

Jacquie

There is another possible alternative for Maurice J Ayers - Maurice Jack Ayers born 14 January 1927 New York - passed away 1 July 1996 Miami Dade Florida  - referred to on the SSDI as Jack M Ayers - Last Residence 33179 Miami, Miami-Dade, Florida - referred to as M Jack Ayers on the Florida death index. U.S., Selected Jewish Obituaries, 1948-2002 - Jack M Ayers - Lakeside Memorial Park - Publication Chicago Obituary Database.

Sometimes there are more ways to "skin a cat" - so when we reach a "brick wall" - which we have with Annie in Canada, we have to research other relatives to see if we can find obituaries, newspaper reports or anything which mentions other members of the extended families.  Canada has very strict privacy laws and unfortunately no BMD index to help with possible marriage etc for Annie ., Some marriages are available up to 1932 ish at the moment.

Since it appears another sister Janet Marshall Wannan/Carson/MacKay returned to Scotland and passed away aged 80 years - 1984 - Blairgowrie, Perthshire, Scotland - it might be worth trying to track an obituary for her to see if it mentions Annie.  ???

Janet Marshall Mackay -  80 years -  1984 - 381/ 141 - Blairgowrie

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 11 February 17 11:54 GMT (UK) »
I found a divorce in Florida for a Maurice J. Ayers and Muriel Ayers etc. ...
Jacquie

Hi Jacquie

I looked at the Obituary you mentioned and noted he was born in Battle, Sussex, England, so I looked up Ancestry for his birth, or anything else, but have struggled to find anything for him, that might link to this being the fourth husband of Muriel.

Chiad Fhear

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 11 February 17 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Sometimes there are more ways to "skin a cat" - so when we reach a "brick wall" - which we have with Annie in Canada, we have to research other relatives to see if we can find obituaries, newspaper reports or anything which mentions other members of the extended families ... Since it appears another sister Janet Marshall Wannan/Carson/MacKay returned to Scotland and passed away aged 80 years - 1984 - Blairgowrie, Perthshire, Scotland - it might be worth trying to track an obituary for her to see if it mentions Annie ...[/quote]

Thanks Sandra, I already have Janet's death to investigate when I go the the Scottish Records Office later this month, and also on my (growing) list of Death Intimations to research in the Library in Dundee before then  :)

Given that Annie and Janet seem to have been "close" in the US, there's a good possibility she may be mentioned.  That said, obituaries in Scotland tend to be reserved for "well-known figures" and not just other "run of the mill" (hard working) folks.

Annie's brother was "well-known" locally and he had a brief obituary printed in the local "Courier and Advertiser" in addition to a Death Intimation in May 1971 - no mention of Annie though, as I already posted.

Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 11 February 17 14:56 GMT (UK) »
I think with all the Muriel stuff posted that you may have missed my post about Annie seemingly using the name Patricia when she crossed the border to visit her sister.

Jacquie

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 11 February 17 16:24 GMT (UK) »
I think with all the Muriel stuff posted that you may have missed my post about Annie seemingly using the name Patricia when she crossed the border to visit her sister.

Jacquie

Sorry, Jacquie, I did see it but failed to acknowledge it.  Quite odd?  Don't you think?

The brick wall needs a wee chunk out of it!

Chiad Fhear