Author Topic: Jessie Morrison born in Aberchirder 1869  (Read 3872 times)

Offline Terry_R

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jessie Morrison born in Aberchirder 1869
« on: Thursday 09 February 17 14:32 GMT (UK) »
I am researching my great grandmother Jessie Morrison. She was born November 17th 1869, the illegitimate daughter of John Morrison (a carpenter) and Jessie Fleming (a domestic servant). She was born on South Street, Aberchirder, and the birth was registered on Dec 6th at St Marnoch, Marnoch, Banff. Both parents signatures are on the registration.

I have researched the records at Ancestry.com and some at Scotlandspeople.gov.uk and it appears Jessie Morrison was a common name at the time.  I can confirm this is my grandmother as her marriage certificate lists them as her parents, her birthday was November 17th and my father remembers her speaking of  a “Fergieloen”? which I finally figured out was Foggieloan.

My great grandmother immigrated to Canada prior to 1890, (I can trace her from 1890 on, just not from 1869 to 1890.)

Any information on the Morrison families in the area at the time would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie Morrison born in Aberchirder 1869
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 February 17 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,

Could this be the Morrison family in 1861 ?
Brokenfolds , Marnoch , Banffshire.
Alexander Morrison 48 mason/farmer
Elizabeth Morrison 47 wife
Jean Morrison 19 dau
JOHN MORRISON 16 son Apprentice Wright
James Morrison 14 son
Robert Morrison 12 son
Isabella Morrison 9 dau
Mary Ann Morrison 5 son
William Morrison 1 Son

1881 Brokenfold , Marnoch , Banffshire
Alexander Morrison 68
Elizabeth Morrison 66 wife
Mary Ann Morrison 24 dau
William Morrison 20 son
Elizabeth Morrison 18 Dau
JESSIE MORRISON 11 g. dau born Marnoch Banff.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 February 17 15:48 GMT (UK) »
You beat me to it, Ev!

Wonder if this is John Morrison's baptism

As transcribed on Freereg

John Morison born 1 Aug 1844 bap. 25 Aug 1844 Abode Macduff Parents Alexander Morison  Occ. Mason and Elizabeth Joass (shows as Joss elsewhere).

Maybe John in 1881

Address 11 Gladstone Ave Turriff

John Morrison 36 Macduff Carpenter Master empl.3 men 2 boys
Evaline A Morrison 23 wife b Turriff
John Morrison 3 son b Turriff
Evaline A Morrison 4 months dau b Turriff
+ 1 servant

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 February 17 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Possibly John Morrison in 1871

Transcribed as John Morison

On vessels b 1845 Macduff 2nd carpenter on the May Queen.

Maybe Jessie in 1871 showing as niece in Marnoch
Alexander Morrison 27 b Gamrie mason
Helen wife 23 b Huntly
Elisabeth J 3 dau
Jessie Morrison 1 b Marnoch.

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Terry_R

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 February 17 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ev and William,

I do believe she may related to that family.

In the 1851 census the family is listed as Morison, the father is Alexander and there is a Alexander and John listed as sons.

In the 1861 census Alexander is not listed at home only John.

Jessie is born in 1869 and in the 1871 census there is a Jessie Morrison (born in Marnoch abt 1870) listed as a niece with Alexander and Helen Morrison.

In the 1881 census Alexander and Helen Morrison now have more children of their own however there is no niece listed. However, in the 1881 census there is now a granddaughter Jessie Morrison (born Marnoch abt 1870) living with the senior Alexander Morrison.

I think the difference in the years may be due to rounding due to when the census was taken and her birthday being in November.

It is a good possibility that is the family, I just can't find any secondary records to confirm it and there are many Jessie and John Morrisons to choose from.

William, I had considered that perhaps John Morrison was a carpenter on a ship.  Your posting of John Morrison being born in Macduff in 1845 would tie him into that family.

Thanks again.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 February 17 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Just to say that given the time of year that Jessie was born in 1869 you would expect her  approx. birth year to show as 1870 in censuses.

William

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 February 17 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Wonder if this is relevant and worth your following up:

The 1901 and 1911 censuses (as well as the 1916 Prairie Provinces census) have a John Morrison of the correct age in Manitoba

John Morrison 54 Dob 1 Aug 1844 (nb the same as on the OPR I posted earlier) occupation farmer
Eveline A wife Dob 3 Oct 1857 (both born Scotland)
Charles C adopted son Dob 19 March 1895

Year of immigration given as 1882

1911 They would appear to have a son aged 6 called James. John is recorded as a hardware merchant with 1881 as the year of immigration.

Have not found them in the 1891 census but I am not that au fait with Canadian records.

Back on safer territory for me I did have a look at the newspaper archive for John Morrison. There are a couple of adverts of interest in the Banffshire papers, one in late 1869 and one in 1870 regarding the sale of premises and fittings of a carpenter called John Morrison in Aberchirder.

William

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 February 17 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Marriage for John Morrison

At Turriff 8 June 1880 John Morrison (House Carpenter Master) age 35 parents Alexander Morrison,  Farmer,and Elizabeth Morrison (M/s Joss).
To Eveline Ann Ingram parents William Ingram , Registrar of Births etc and Margaret Ingram (M/s Palmer - I think!). Witnesses Alexander Duncan and William Harris

The registrar was... William Ingram (I note there is a three year old son on the 1881 census!)

William

Offline Terry_R

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 February 17 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi William,

Adding to my confusion, not only are there multiple Jessie and John Morrisons to sort out, there are also multiple Alexander Morrisons.

My understanding is there was Alexander Morrison (Farmer) married to Jane Milne.
Their son was Alexander Morrison (master mason) married to Elizabeth Joss
And their sons were Alexander Morrison (Mason) and John Morrison (carpenter.)

Reading your posting makes it sound like Alexander the master mason became a farmer (inherited the farm?) or could he have been both mason and farmer?

I found the references about the sale of the premises and fittings to be interesting as it appears John Morrison leaves the area around then. Were the premises on South Street?

I’ll follow up on the Canadian records, I did take a quick look at the online Manitoba records but they did not have a lot of details on them.

Just to add to the confusion, my great grandmother was living in Belleville Ontario in 1890. I discovered that In 1880 another Jessie Morrison (also born in Scotland in 1869) was sent to Belleville as a British Home child. I can find her in the passenger lists just not by great-grandmother.

So I had to sort out multiple Jessie Morrisons in Scotland and in Ontario.

Thanks again.

Terry