Author Topic: Birth/ Baptism/marriage surname King  (Read 2083 times)

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Today is the day of my life
    • View Profile
Birth/ Baptism/marriage surname King
« on: Thursday 09 February 17 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am looking for James King born c1832 in Queens County. He appears on several England censuses with varying ages so a birth could be between 1832 and 1840. His birthplace is recorded as Kilkarney so maybe Kilkenny? He married Catherine? Who was from Galway ,so may have married in Ireland.
His wife may be called Gibbons.
Any help would be much appreicated.
Thanks
Devon,Cornwall and Somerset
West,Horne,Andrews,Melluish and Denniford

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth/ Baptism/marriage surname King
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 February 17 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Religion?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 February 17 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Apologies, Roman Catholic

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 February 17 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am looking for James King born c1832 in Queens County. He appears on several England censuses with varying ages so a birth could be between 1832 and 1840. His birthplace is recorded as Kilkarney so maybe Kilkenny? He married Catherine? Who was from Galway ,so may have married in Ireland.
His wife may be called Gibbons.
Any help would be much appreicated.
Thanks

Bit confused here- you are posting this in Queens Co. board because...?
Any children? if so, when and where was the eldest born? no birth certificates to list mother's maiden name for any children?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 February 17 01:39 GMT (UK) »
In reply, I am posting it here because he was born in Queens County, where else would I post it ?
I am looking for someone born In Queens County, so this seemed the logical place. I am trying to confirm his age, parentage and possibly his marriage. All his children were born in England, but it is him that I am looking for.

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 February 17 02:36 GMT (UK) »
name   James King
Marriage year   1856    Annunciation Roman Catholic Chapel Chesterfield
Spouse   Catharine   Gibbons
Reference   RO/04/072
Register Office   393 County Derbyshire

Further to our conversation in chat, I found possible births for most of the children with mmn GIBBONS (or misspellings thereof) as suspected including Catherine with mmn FITZGIBBONS, although I couldn't find birth entries for a couple of children (tentative maiden names for seven of the ten census children). I do note that you said the direct line you are following was through the daughter Mary Ann. I can only see the name as Mary on the census and birth entry. Have I been looking at the right family?

Ayashi

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 February 17 09:30 GMT (UK) »
In reply, I am posting it here because he was born in Queens County, where else would I post it ?
I am looking for someone born In Queens County, so this seemed the logical place. I am trying to confirm his age, parentage and possibly his marriage. All his children were born in England, but it is him that I am looking for.

Your first post said "He appears on several England censuses with varying ages so a birth could be between 1832 and 1840. His birthplace is recorded as Kilkarney so maybe Kilkenny?" which is why I asked about Queens Co.

I asked about children (especially when eldest might have been born) to narrow down possible marriage date. It looks like Ayashi has found the marriage but the actual certificate should list fathers' names and occupations. The name of James' father will help to rule out or possibly identify any baptisms that might later be found.

The Irish Catholic parish registers are online (free) but not all records will go back to 1830s. However, it will be very difficult to be sure of finding the correct person with such little, and conflicting, detail.
http://registers.nli.ie/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 February 17 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ayashi, yes you have the right family, as the first child I know of,Ellen was born in Chesterfield.
It is interesting that the mmn is down as Fitzgibbon as well as Gibbons. Thank you so mich for finding this for me, I am not aux fait with Catholic records and am a bit rusty with my genealogy at the moment so your help is much appreciated