Author Topic: Silhouette image on postcard  (Read 1045 times)

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Silhouette image on postcard
« on: Friday 10 February 17 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I have amongst my family photos a silhouette image of a man smoking a cigarette,  on a postcard. The reverse of the postcard has no artist stamp, or divided line to separate message and address. Would anyone have any information as to dating the picture as it most probably has some family connection. I will post it on here if needs be. Many thanks

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Silhouette image on postcard
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 February 17 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi...I have two similar ones...one each of my Aunt and Uncle....they had them done in Blackpool in the 1950s I think.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 February 17 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks TreeTotal, that does fit, with the age of the person and the locality. I now have a better idea who it may be.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 February 17 11:03 GMT (UK) »
You're welcome...here are my two for comparison.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 February 17 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks TreeTotal. Yes they do have some similarity, but the card is different. I have edited my post to include the picture.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 February 17 17:45 GMT (UK) »
I think yours could be earlier as the the divided back postcard was introduced in the UK in 1902 and your doesn't have this.

Carol

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 February 17 21:11 GMT (UK) »
TreeTotal, what would be the chance of the image being as old as the postcard it is on?

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 February 17 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Quite close I would think.
Carol

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 February 17 18:38 GMT (UK) »
TreeTotal would the style of clothing and the cigarette be any clue as to the date of the image? Many thanks