Author Topic: Kirkcaldy cemeteries  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Ricky Beutler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Kirkcaldy cemeteries
« on: Monday 13 February 17 03:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am new to posting on here. I am coming to do graveyard trolling in Scotland and Belgium this June through July.
Searching for Philp and Philip also MacDonald and Cameron as well gravetones in Kirkcaldy, Dunked, Little Dunk1ed possibly Markinch Not sure how to go about checking numbers of cemeteries.
Furthest back ancestor for the moment James Philp 1665(birth) and Janet Wallace 1669(birth) they  James born in 1691 and married Katherine Imbrie born Jan 12 1701 and they had three sons. The surname in our family records is sometimes spelled Philp and sometimes spelled Philip.

Any direction would be appreciated
Thank you
Ricky

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Kirkcaldy cemeteries
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 February 17 03:39 GMT (UK) »
Searching for Philp and Philip also MacDonald and Cameron as well gravetones in Kirkcaldy, Dunked, Little Dunk1ed possibly Markinch
Ricky

Hi Ricky,

Can you give a reference as to where you found the above in blue please?

I can't think of where those places were/are so a help would be great?

I know of a Dunkeld & Little Dunkeld but they would be in Perthshire.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 February 17 03:47 GMT (UK) »
Could the name be Dunnikier (Kirkcaldy)? I don't know of a 'Little Dunnikier' though?

Maybe someone with more knowledge on Fife areas will work it out?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Ricky Beutler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 February 17 03:51 GMT (UK) »
They are in Perthshire I even spell checked--darn sorry Dunkeld and Little Dunkeld near Murthly. I am starting in Glasgow and heading north to visit place names of births and deaths of my family tree so I think Kirkcaldy and Markinch will be my first or my last stop then on to  Dunkeld and Little Dunkeld . Aberdeen Inverkeithney Skene(my great great grandfather was a minister at Skene) Banff , New Deer--was a minister there as well. The Philp and Philip started in Kirkcaldy and looks as though over the generations meandered all over the world

We have ancestors born at Edingight, Grange, Banff but so far no one has found that place.
My great grandfather was minister at Avoch. I will do a loop as i wish to go yo the MacDonald monument, Culloden Battlefield, possibly Skye and Glencoe.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 February 17 04:08 GMT (UK) »
Okay, glad I worked out the Perthshire ones (Perthshire born myself).

Which Airport/Railway Station will you be landing & by which will you be returning?

This will help with your best route in terms of geography.

Annie

Offline Ricky Beutler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 February 17 04:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello Annie,
My proposed route from Glasgow is M90 to A 921 to Kirkcaldy looking ofr Philip, MacDonalds and MacIntosh then A92 to Markinch. A92 to A90 again to Aberdeen, Peterculture,Skene, Methlick,New Deer, Fyvie then Keith, Banff Avoch and Inverness then Culloden, MAcdoanld Monument, Skye Glenco Glasgow or the complete reverse.

Flying from Canada to Glasgow and a second cousin is meeting me. Then I shall likely traipse off on my own. Looks as though there are many graveyards that I will be checking.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 February 17 04:36 GMT (UK) »
Riicky, your route is basically a triangle i.e. whichever way you go with the planned route you have is good but from a local point of view you may want to check out the least distance from your last port of call back to the Airport in terms of time/distance.

I think it may be advisable to contact the Administration Districts for info. on your burials prior to arriving as a lot of the dates are far back & there may be no MI's or even markers, only locations on Cemetery Maps.

I have to go to bed now so no time to google the area addresses you need to contact.

In regard to the place name Edingight, Grange, Banff you may want to try;

http://maps.nls.uk/

&

http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/

Also a google search of Place names Banff beginning E may help with the possibilities of Edingight?

Failing that, ditto above with Scotland in place of Banff.

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 February 17 04:43 GMT (UK) »
I forgot to mention, it may be advisable to put look-up requests on each board of interest to ask for any info. on burials as there are a lot of kind people on here who would be willing to help in your quest who may find the grave locations prior to your arrival to help you locate them?

Listing the names of family members will help for each burial site/grave yard.

Annie

Offline Ricky Beutler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 February 17 05:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Annie--will follow up suggestions this week. Off to bed also.
Be well
Ricky