Author Topic: Mary Lawson  (Read 1202 times)

Offline mientajb

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Lawson
« on: Monday 13 February 17 18:12 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find information regarding Mary Lawson who was born in Perthshire, Scotland in 1793. Her maiden name was Whyte, sometimes written Whytte, Whytt or even White. She probably lived in Blackford. She married Peter Lawson in 1815 and had a number of children in Blackford. My research suggests that she emigrated to Canada, probably Nova Scotia, in about 1818 but I am struggling to find any details of this or her subsequent death.

I can find the 1871 and 1881 census forms for Peter Lawson in Harbourville, NS but by then he has remarried.

I should be most grateful to hear opinion as to where I should go for this information.

Many Thanks
Bookless,Varty, Collins, Birchall, Nicholson, Corlett, Barnett

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Lawson
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 February 17 20:55 GMT (UK) »
There is a publication called "A Dictionary of Scottish Emigrants to Canada before Confederation" by Donald Whyte. There might be a reference to Peter and family. Many libraries have copies, and I'm not sure if it's made its way online yet.

Peter is noted in the 1851 Census which, unfortunately, is a head-of-household census only, but it indicates that there are two between the ages of 10 and 20 (one male, one female), one female between 20 and 30, one male over 50, and altho' smudged, it looks like one female over 50.

1861 census in Kings County shows three people in the household -- two males, one female. (not broken down beyond that).

Peter married Maria Rand in 1865 in Kings County, so Mary likely died in the area.  By 1873, he had married for the third time, to a Mary Pineo, aged 45 (he was 80 at the time).  He was living at Blackrock at the time (not Blackford).  If you always marry a woman with the same name, you never have to worry about forgetting her name  :D

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 February 17 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Online trees suggest she died 20 May 1863.  Born 15 May 1793 to John White and Annie Bruce, but nothing more definite on birthplace in Scotland.

From an online reference to Peter's tombstone inscription:

Lawson Cemetery, Base Line Road
 Sacred to the memory of Peter Lawson, died 14 Apr 1881, aged 88 yrs. A native of Perthshire Scotland. Also Maria, second wife of Peter Lawson, died 18 Nov 1873, aged 72 yrs. Sacred to the memory of Mary 1st wife of Peter Lawson, died 26 May 1863, age (blank)

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 February 17 21:05 GMT (UK) »
The Dictionary of Scottish Emigrants to Canada Before Confederation (volume 3) has an entry for Mrs. Mary Lawson as follows:

LAWSON, Mrs Mary, ca 1793-26 May 1863. From Blackford, PER. To NS, and d at Cornwallis, Annapolis Co. Wife or wid/o Peter Lawson.

I didn't find an entry for Peter in any of the volumes.

He was living at Blackrock at the time (not Blackford).

Peter and Mary were married in Blackford, Perth and had at least 3 children born to them there between 1816-1819.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline mientajb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all so much for your wonderful responses. At least it confirms that she is from Perth and must be my ancestor. I shall have to dig more about the Lawson family in Canada as they seem to be very interesting.

Offline mientajb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 12:45 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if there is reference to a Peter Lauson in the book as the family name is sometimes written as this.

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 06:54 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if there is reference to a Peter Lauson in the book as the family name is sometimes written as this.

Sorry, I couldn't find anything on Peter. I tried a number of different searches and came up empty.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline pmlaw74

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 July 17 23:31 BST (UK) »
I am currently trying to find a Peter Lawson who was born in 1819 and immigrated to New Zealand. He was born in Blackford, Perthshire. There are records saying his parents could have been Mary and Peter but it seems odd that he went to New Zealand and they went to Canada. Have you had any more luck finding out Mary's history?