Author Topic: Which Richard Jones is my ancestor!?  (Read 1808 times)

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Which Richard Jones is my ancestor!?
« on: Wednesday 15 February 17 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Ive traced my family back to Richard Jones who died in 1829 Llanbrynmair aged 61. Ive found two Richard Jones' baptised in Llanbrynmair in 1768, but dont know how to differentiate them!

My Richard was twice married. I dont know his first wife, but his second was Ann Evan (a widow) who he married in Llanbrynmair 23/11/1806.

My Richard lived at Caeau Gleision Farm, which is generally spelt as Caeaugleison on the records ive seen.

Im really stuck here! Can anyone help?
Langley, Broughton, Taylor, Broad, Cooper, Owen, Bennion, Yorke, Knox, Norcup, Holland, Brookes, White, Davies, Huntbach, Bowler, Barnett.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Which Richard Jones is my ancestor!?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 February 17 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Have you tried looking for the parents Will on the National Library of Wales website.
It's free to view and if you can eliminate one of the couples ,the other must be right.
Richard's Will of 1830 is on there- it mentions his wife Ann only son Richard and daughters Ann and  Jane.
Bishop of St Asaph.
You never know there may be something on there.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 February 17 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ciderdrinker. I have had a look on there, but i havent found any relevant wills. I did find Richards in 1830 however.
I really want to find which is right, as one allegedly is a descendant of Welsh royalty. If you believe trees posted to the IGI that is
Langley, Broughton, Taylor, Broad, Cooper, Owen, Bennion, Yorke, Knox, Norcup, Holland, Brookes, White, Davies, Huntbach, Bowler, Barnett.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 February 17 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Did he have any sons other than the Richard mentioned in his will? 

I see that the two sets of possible parents are John and Anne of Pennant/or Pennal? and Thomas and Jane of Ty folwern(?)*. Unfortunately the daughters have both female names.  Do the places give any clues?

* on current maps this is Tafolwern
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 February 17 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Yes they are the two sets of possible parents i found. The only place i know my Jones' have ties to is Caeau Gleision Farm, which is quite often spelt wrong. Either as all one word or missing a few letters.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 February 17 14:03 GMT (UK) »
When, where and who did he marry?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 February 17 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Richard Jones married Ann Evan on 23/11/1806 in Llanbrymair. Both had been previously married and Widowed. I havent been able to find either first marriage.
They had Jane in 1812 and Richard 1818. Ann however as the eldest daughter may by Richards daughter by his first marriage. I have been unable to find a baptism.

I had Ann Evan possibly as Ann Howell who married Morris Evan in 1804 Llanbrynmair. Although this marriage record was signed by Ann, and her marriage to Richard she just put an X.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 February 17 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Interesting entry :

24 Sept 1802 Ann Jones, illegitimate daughter of Richard Jones and Ann Evans

Also  a bpt of an Ann Jones, parents Richard and Ann on 16 Nov 1806

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 February 17 14:34 GMT (UK) »
That is interesting!! I guess the Ann baptised in 1806 would also have been illegitimate being baptised a week before Richard and Ann married, and with it not being stated can be ruled out?