Author Topic: Woodhouse, Leeds  (Read 437 times)

Offline Alders

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Woodhouse, Leeds
« on: Wednesday 15 February 17 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello i'm after a little help, my ancestors seem to have come from this area, but by what i can gather Woodhouse wasn't "made" until the 1830's & along with it St Mark's church. But i have a record of the relative there in 1820. I'm wondering if anyone knows how a family would of moved into a new community? invitation? would the homes have been built already? Was there something there before? Parish records for the area start from around the same time, was there another church near? I can't seem to find one. Are there any earlier records for the area that anyone knows of?
My ancestors on my holey time line went b 1776 Leeds (non specific)  1811 Lancaster according to marriage cert (yeoman)  1815 Little London (Gentleman's servant) 1820 Woodhouse (labourer) 1822 Woodhouse (Labourer)  the last 3 dates are baptism entries from Leeds, St Peter, was that then the nearest church?  I'm not sure i've confused you all as much as i have confused myself!  ::)
Byrne, Butterfield, Gilbert, Sutcliffe, Furey, Alderson, Warham, to name a few!

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Woodhouse, Leeds
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Based on the information in the National Index of Parish Registers, it appears that St Mark's Woodhouse (the church building) opened in 1826 and had its own registers from that date, but didn't become a separate parish until 1831. It was originally in the parish of Leeds St Peter (Leeds Parish Church), so you'd need to check there for earlier entries.

There might possibly be later entries at St Peter's too, as I think sometimes the residents of a new parish retained some rights to use the original parish church. And non-conformity was strong in some parts of Yorkshire, so may be worth bearing in mind.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk