Author Topic: Free Ancestry UK Access this weekend  (Read 12926 times)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
Re: Free Ancestry UK Access this weekend
« Reply #63 on: Saturday 18 February 17 11:48 GMT (UK) »

I only look at the records as well and ignore the Member hints. ;D 

See you're never to old to learn, going to change the settings now. ;D ;D
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Saturday 18 February 17 11:58 GMT (UK) »
I use latest version of Firefox as well and don't get tabs opening. I just click on the image and it opens in the same tab.   I use the tools on the side of the image to download or the "Save" button that appears on the top right of the page where the image opens.  Gives 3 options, Shoebox, Tree or Computer. 

I always download to my pc because I can't access the images saved to my tree outside of the Freebies. From there I save them to files on my Google Drive.

Takes me the whole free access to sift through all the hints to keep the useful ones ::) ::)

I only get two options, as per the screengrab. Clicking 'save' opens a new tab with the image, as does selecting 'download' from the toolbox on the right-hand side.

I always save everything I see... you never know when online access to a resource is going to vanish.

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Saturday 18 February 17 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Strange I'm using Latest version Firefox on Windows 10 Pro and when I click on the image it gives me that same save button but I get the options of Shoebox, pc, or tree.  When you open the image do you get what looks like little tools on the right hand side where you can zoom in and out.  If you click on the little spanners it should also give you an option to download. Those little spanners you can see under the option box should also work
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Saturday 18 February 17 12:12 GMT (UK) »

Yes, they are the same three options I get when I'm at the library. The only obvious difference is I don't have Windows 10... but that hopefully shouldn't make a difference to how the site works, at least not in terms of menu options.

The toolbox on the right does give the download option, but does the same new tab thing as the save button.

I can survive with it working as-is, its just a bit of a pain to wait for the new tab to open and then right-click saveas.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Saturday 18 February 17 12:22 GMT (UK) »
There have been issues with Ancestry saving in the past and PC screen resolution.  Where the resolution is very low to make everything much larger the save works like that. If you increase screen resolution it should work properly but everything on the screen is smaller but there are other ways to adjust this rather than reducing screen resolution.  However problem is where the PC is old and the maximum screen resolution is still too low which is the problem my mother has on her laptop. :-\
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Saturday 18 February 17 12:26 GMT (UK) »

That is really odd, as the images load in the same tab without opening a new one.  It has always worked like that for me even on the previous version of Windows that was on the pc. ??? ???

My pc is not the newest on the block and I still have a large old type screen, not the new slimmer versions.

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Saturday 18 February 17 12:28 GMT (UK) »

By doing the "save as" can you label them as you download the images.  Because the way I have to do it it goes straight to the download folder and I have to relabel them from there.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Saturday 18 February 17 12:38 GMT (UK) »
3SD if you are using Firefox, you need to change a setting so you get a prompt to rename and can change folder location before saving. I can't off hand remember where that is in Firefox though, somewhere in the options.

As to the Ancestry saving problem, the laptop my mother is using is over 10 years old which is the problem. I gather for most people the problem can be fixed by simply increasing their screen resolution a bit.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Saturday 18 February 17 12:43 GMT (UK) »

I will have to ask Resident Nerd when he gets home from work to sort the setting on Firefox for me. It's his job he has to know. ;D ;D

My pc isn't a spring chicken either but I do have a large screen, about 37cms of screen width.