Author Topic: William Morris Carson born Scotland 1922 - died in Kentucky 1986  (Read 1790 times)

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
William Morris Carson born Scotland 1922 - died in Kentucky 1986
« on: Friday 17 February 17 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Greetings

William Morris Carson was born on 16 April 1922 in 10 Salisbury Street, Kirkcaldy, Fife, Scotland and died in November 1986 in London, Laurel County, Kentucky.  He was the son of William Morris Carson Sr., and Janet Marshall Wannan.

William Jr., was a seaman and I have a Border Crossing for him dated 20 October 1942 ex the S.S. "Perjus" travelling from Halifax, Nova Scotia to USA at Port Huron, Michigan to resume domicile in U.S.  He was age 20, single, and his (remarried) mother Janet MacKay was then residing at 649 Wrightwood Avenue, Chicago, Illinois, her first husband, William's father, having died in Scotland in 1928.

In March 1967 William submitted a Petition for Naturalization to the District Court of the United States at London, Kentucky in which he stated he was married, with 4 children.

My quest is now to find details of William's marriage, his wife and his children.

Can anyone help?

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: William Morris Carson born Scotland 1922 - died in Kentucky 1986
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 February 17 19:46 GMT (UK) »
The USA does not have A BMD Index for that time frame - I didn't see anything listed in Kentucky marriages when i checked earlier

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1674849?collectionNameFilter=false

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/2549562?collectionNameFilter=false

Perhaps if you contact the nearest local library they may find an obituary to help.

Or contact an RAOGK volunteer in Kentucky - there is one that just lists Kentucky - 3 rd from bottom of this link.

https://www.raogk.org/lookups/region/kentucky/

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 February 17 19:52 GMT (UK) »
It's a very different area, but I wonder if this was his wife - http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/nytimes/obituary.aspx?n=MaryJoan-Carson-Punch&pid=99499679  There is a Brooke Carson who would fit the late one mentioned in the obituary, who was born 11 Nov 1946 in New York City and 9 Sep. 1996, and her Social Security application shows her middle name was Janet.

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 February 17 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Wow, you get around, Sandra  :o   I thought you looked after the Canadian Forum.

Thanks for the guidance.

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 February 17 19:55 GMT (UK) »
This doesn't answer the question re marriage and children but is this another shipping record for him? Age 9 of 7 Robert Street Newfort Dundee? He looks to be travelling alone from Montréal, Québec to Glasgow. Country of last residence Canada. Ship Athenia
There doesn't appear to be another r Carson on the ship's list

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 February 17 19:59 GMT (UK) »
It's a very different area, but I wonder if this was his wife - http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/nytimes/obituary.aspx?n=MaryJoan-Carson-Punch&pid=99499679  There is a Brooke Carson who would fit the late one mentioned in the obituary, who was born 11 Nov 1946 in New York City and 9 Sep. 1996, and her Social Security application shows her middle name was Janet.

Hi shellyesq - a belated welcome to your new post.

Thanks for the information.  This could well be her, although there are only three children mentioned in the Obituary.  William did say he had four.

I'm also going to go down the RAOGK track that Sandra has suggested and see what comes of it.

Chiad Fhear

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 February 17 20:01 GMT (UK) »
This doesn't answer the question re marriage and children but is this another shipping record for him? Age 9 of 7 Robert Street Newfort Dundee? He looks to be travelling alone from Montréal, Québec to Glasgow. Country of last residence Canada. Ship Athenia
There doesn't appear to be another r Carson on the ship's list

Hi Crisane, and thanks for coming on board  :)

Yes, this is the lad.  I have this and also wondered about him being on his own at such a young age  :o  There is no other passenger with any obvious connection to him.

Chiad Fhear

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 February 17 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Do you have any further information on Janet?  Maybe her obituary or death record would give some clues about William, daughter-in-law, and/or grandchildren.

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 February 17 20:22 GMT (UK) »
I just found a 1956 Tennessee marriage that seems to fit your William.  I can't find a death record for the wife yet, so she may still be living.  I'll send the info via PM.