Author Topic: Registry of Deeds... memorial images now online!  (Read 6961 times)

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
Registry of Deeds... memorial images now online!
« on: Saturday 18 February 17 06:44 GMT (UK) »
Family search have now put up online the images of memorials held at the Registry of Deeds, Dublin.

Go to family search and select calague author "Ireland. Registry of Deeds"

Scroll down and you will find all the films listed.  Take a moment to see how they are indexed!

Look up your family name as grantor and take down the volume page number and memorial number or look up by the land index.

Scroll down further and select the film by volume number... then browse  ;D

Enjoy!

For those lucky enough to have landed ancestors this is a treasure chest of information.

Ps . I should note, these are just, the original memorial transcripts, if you would like a copy of the real manuscript with signatures and seals then you would need to request it from from the Registry of Deeds in Dublin.   Around €20 last time I enquired (about 7 years ago)
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline Pejic

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Registry of Deeds... memorial images now online!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 February 17 08:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this, however I have been unable to get beyond seeing the list of films, is there any chance you could help me out by expanding on:

"Take a moment to see how they are indexed!

Look up your family name as grantor and take down the volume page number and memorial number or look up by the land index.

Scroll down further and select the film by volume number... then browse"

Thank you. 
Richard Wernham (Berkshire 18th century),
William Hissey (1805 to 1813, Hampstead Norris),
Kapirin (Siberia 19th Century),
Kitching 1850,
Mary Howse born 1806 ish,
Chris Truelove marr. John Pocock 2-7-1696, Kintbury, Berks

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 February 17 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Yes, it's confusing.

Ok, for example. My surname interest is Creed and Were landowners from very early on.

So starit with grantor index C 1748-1785 film number 100254 look at the far tight, click on the little camera icon and the film will open with 696 images... pages from the grantors index staring with the letter C... browse through the images until you find the name you are looking for. In my case, Creed.
There is loads of them for that name.I then recorded every one into an excel sheet.
Grantor name .. grantee name.... volume... page... memorial number.

Repeat for each year batch... years going from 1708-1929

So now armed with a list, you can scroll down to find the memorial films starting
Deeds, etc., v. 1-2 1708-1709 film 522803   V indicating the volume number.
Again click on the camera icon to open the film to show the pages. The memorials are listed numerically, though the page number is also shown so you can skip along to the page you number you took down.

I should add that for my name interest there are 360 grantors entries.  I took 3 days at the registery of deeds logging them all but only to transcribe about 10 memorials as no cameras allowed there.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 February 17 09:29 GMT (UK) »

I took 3 days at the registery of deeds logging them all but only to transcribe about 10 memorials as no cameras allowed there.

Anyone wanting to copy a lot of deeds might find it useful to know there’s a duplicate set of the Registry of Deeds records in PRONI (the public record office) in Belfast. They are on microfilm and you can print copies at 30p a page.
Elwyn

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 February 17 10:41 GMT (UK) »
I can't imagine the guys at Dublin allowing you to drag the huge books to the photocopier, pages are preserved in gum. You come away with very sticky hands lol!

Belfast sadly
wasn't an option for me as I was holidaying in Ireland following the trail.

Offline Pejic

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 February 17 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again, but I guess I'm still missing something, all I get from the initial search is a list of sources:

•   Ireland. Registry of Deeds ( 5 )
1.   List of wills in the Registry of Deeds, Dublin, with dates of registration
2.   Registry of Deeds, Dublin, abstracts of wills
3.   Registry of Deeds, Dublin, abstracts of wills
4.   Registry of Deeds, Dublin, abstracts of wills
5.   Transcripts of memorials of deeds, conveyances and wills, 1708-1929

The deepest I can get (all searches return no results) is a page offering to sell me the microfilms.

Where/how did you find "So start with grantor index C 1748-1785 film number 100254"?

Sorry to keep pestering (but you know what they say about no good deed going unrewarded  ;D)
Richard Wernham (Berkshire 18th century),
William Hissey (1805 to 1813, Hampstead Norris),
Kapirin (Siberia 19th Century),
Kitching 1850,
Mary Howse born 1806 ish,
Chris Truelove marr. John Pocock 2-7-1696, Kintbury, Berks

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 February 17 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again, but I guess I'm still missing something, all I get from the initial search is a list of sources:

•   Ireland. Registry of Deeds ( 5 )
1.   List of wills in the Registry of Deeds, Dublin, with dates of registration
2.   Registry of Deeds, Dublin, abstracts of wills
3.   Registry of Deeds, Dublin, abstracts of wills
4.   Registry of Deeds, Dublin, abstracts of wills
5.   Transcripts of memorials of deeds, conveyances and wills, 1708-1929

The deepest I can get (all searches return no results) is a page offering to sell me the microfilms.

Where/how did you find "So start with grantor index C 1748-1785 film number 100254"?

Sorry to keep pestering (but you know what they say about no good deed going unrewarded  ;D)

Ooops I missed that step, sorry :-[

then you will get the following screen (pic 1)  scroll down (pic 2) ... keep scrolling till you find the surname Initial and dates you are looking for

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 February 17 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Pejic... are you looking for the name Norris in Ireland  ;D

not many of them I'm afraid, been there and done that. For some strange reason they seem to use a barrister in all their transactions as the 1st or 2nd person.
i.e
the marriage settlement between Charles Creed and Catherine Norris in 1778
the grantor's index : Charles Creed - Christopher Knight.  volume 328 page 227 mem 220146

hard to spot unless you have rough dates as Charles appears in numerous deeds

his cousin James Creed married Ann Norris (Catherine's sister) in 1786 and again the grantor's index isn't obvious: James Creed - Francis Russell  vol 377 page 401 mem 253021

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 February 17 13:22 GMT (UK) »
 :o seems whoever filmed or edited the film couldn't count... memorial numbers are shuffled in the same way the Durham parish registers are!  :( It's going to take ages to find the memorials.

I know for a fact the books themselves are not falling apart.