Author Topic: UK Military Records not on Ancestry but linked from there to Fold3?  (Read 14236 times)

Offline Greenland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: UK Military Records not on Ancestry but linked from there to Fold3?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 05 March 17 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you libby9 and Mean_genie for your responses.  I should have been more vigilant when subscribing again to Ancestry about five days ago after a short break of a few months within a 4-5 year membership period - I made the mistake of assuming the newer records were available as in the past but they have been moved.  This is one way of increasing their profits.  I appreciate your listing of what is still available.  I feel though that I have wasted my money and will definitely vote with my feet and not renew my membership in a year.  I find with FindMyPast's aggressive growth campaign they are hard to beat but I wish there were fewer transcriptions and more images.  Anyway, I understand the new set up now.  I must grin and bear it!

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 21 September 17 19:42 BST (UK) »
You can still access these records via your subscription.
British Army WWI Service Records, 1914-1920
British Army WWI Pension Records 1914-1920
British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920 Free
England, The National Roll of the Great War, 1914-1918
UK, Soldiers Died in the Great War, 1914-1919
UK, Casualties of the Boer War, 1899-1902
UK, Army Roll of Honour, 1939-1945
UK, British Prisoners of War, 1939-1945
UK, Waterloo Medal Roll, 1815

I've just tried British Army WWI Service Records 1914-1918 and they are in Fold3 too.  I really can't be bothered trying the others.  I have the records of two g.uncles (unfortunately, the one I'd really like seems to have been amongst the ones destroyed during WWII), the National Roll of the Great War is on TNA, as I guess are the other records.  Many of them are also on FindMyPast without having to pay over and above a subscription.  Ancestry can take a running jump if they think I'm giving them more money.  They'll be putting parish records into a pay for view folder next, using their excuse, Yorkshire records aren't of interest to other Ancestry users, Lancashire records aren't of interest to Yorkshire folk, etc. etc.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 21 September 17 20:15 BST (UK) »
I've just tried British Army WWI Service Records 1914-1918 and they are in Fold3 too. 

I've just tried a WW1 Service Record I'd previously downloaded on Ancestry and its still viewable.  I wonder if they have added some new records which are only on Fold3 as they are definitely not all on there.

Edit - Just tried another and its still viewable on Ancestry.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 21 September 17 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hi, I just thought that I would draw your attention to this if you've not seen it  ;)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=779299.msg6333909

Frank  :)
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 21 September 17 21:44 BST (UK) »
I've just tried British Army WWI Service Records 1914-1918 and they are in Fold3 too. 

I've just tried a WW1 Service Record I'd previously downloaded on Ancestry and its still viewable.  I wonder if they have added some new records which are only on Fold3 as they are definitely not all on there.

Edit - Just tried another and its still viewable on Ancestry.

All the original records are available whether previously downloaded or not, it is records added later on Fold3. As has previously been mentioned, most are available in Findmypast.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 21 September 17 21:52 BST (UK) »
All the original records are available whether previously downloaded or not, it is records added later on Fold3. As has previously been mentioned, most are available in Findmypast.

Which was my point, as I could access some I knew were previously available on Ancestry.  LizzieW I thought was suggesting they had all been removed and were only now available on Fold3.  I may have got the wrong end of the stick on that one figuratively.

Those on FindMyPast are generally better quality scans anyway, I think they've been done from the originals and not the microfilm as with Ancestry.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 22 September 17 08:12 BST (UK) »
My grandfather's records were definitely on Ancestry, as were his brother's records, but now my grandfather's is only available on Fold3 and I can't find his brother's at all.  Perhaps that means his is also being transferred to Fold3.  As a kind Rootschatter got my grandfather and his brother's records for me from TNA some years ago (I didn't ask but because of a discussion on here, she decided whilst at TNA she'd look for my ancestors' records).  It was only later that they became available on Ancestry as part of the sub, but I'd already paid for them by then.  I know I checked them to see if I could find more info on my grandfather who left the army prior to WWI on medical grounds, but then made a miraculous recovery not long afterwards ::)  Swinging the lead comes to mind.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 10 November 17 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Free access to Fold 3 this week-end for those who don't already know  ;)
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Greenland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 10 November 17 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Carol.  It is very thoughtful of you to alert all of us.
Greenland