Author Topic: Nuthurst PR Check  (Read 928 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Nuthurst PR Check
« on: Sunday 19 February 17 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Is anyone able to check the parish registers (or BTs) for Nuthurst for marriages and christenings between about 1630 and 1680?

I have some christening entries for the people I'm looking for already. These were found on Familysearch and Ancestry, however when checking the original register it was revealed that the christenings were "adult christenings" which is not recorded on Familysearch.

If anyone can help please let me know.

Matt

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
Re: Nuthurst PR Check
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 February 17 18:25 GMT (UK) »

Sussex Marriages are on a searchable CD - date coverage for Nuthurst 1562-1643, 1647-50, 1653-54, 1663-76, 1679, 1682-1840 - so you may not find what you're looking for. 
You would need to post more detail if you want a look-up.

If you have Sussex ancestors for £12 you can subscribe to the SFHG where there is a searchable database of baptisms and burials plus much more, well worth the sub.  http://sfhg.org.uk/
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 February 17 23:32 GMT (UK) »

Sussex Marriages are on a searchable CD - date coverage for Nuthurst 1562-1643, 1647-50, 1653-54, 1663-76, 1679, 1682-1840 - so you may not find what you're looking for. 
You would need to post more detail if you want a look-up.

If you have Sussex ancestors for £12 you can subscribe to the SFHG where there is a searchable database of baptisms and burials plus much more, well worth the sub.  http://sfhg.org.uk/

Hi

Thanks for that info. I think I might have worked out part of the answer to my puzzle and possibly found a few of the christenings (and births) I'm after. I'll post more details asap but here is a brief synopsis of the puzzle:

Abraham Matthews (my ancestor) died in 1706 leaving a Will (writing in 1705). I already knew the names of his children [from his first wife Margaret] and had the dates of their christenings. In his will he also mentioned the names of his daughters' husbands.

The puzzle was this, the Will described Abraham's daughters as married. I had found their christening and marriage dates on Familysearch and Ancestry but there was a puzzle, the girls were all christened on the same date in 1686. This seemed odd as the marriages were in the 1690s. However when I checked the original PR at Chichester last week I discovered that the christenings in 1686 were 'Adult Christenings' and I now suspect that Abraham's children were born in the 1660s not 1680s. I have already found two possible christenings in the 1660s in Horsham which gives the dates of birth and christening. Given that Nuthurst is 3 only 3 miles from Horsham I can see there been a connection here. If I can find all of the children born/christened originally in Horsham then it could be that the family moved to Nuthurst and the children were re-christened as adults.

Abraham also had a son named John who predeceased him in 1696. He also left a will in which he named some of the people named in Abraham's will as well.

I plan a visit to the SOG or National Archives at some point in the next few weeks so hopefully might be able to find more details then. Also I'll have to look to see if the in-laws left any Wills.

In the meantime I'll do some more digging in the Horsham registers.

I hadn't thought about the SFHG database actually but I'll take a look into that.

Thanks for the tips

Matt

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 February 17 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Digital copies of the microfilm of Nuthurst parish registers are viewable via the Familysearch Catalogue (search against the place name).  1630 starts Image 251.  You will need to use a free non-LDS church member account to view them.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day