Author Topic: William Michael Connelly  (Read 3661 times)

Offline Mercel

• RootsChat Senior
  • John Robert Forster 1892-1913
    • View Profile
William Michael Connelly
« on: Sunday 19 February 17 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have hit a brick wall with a ggg grandfather. His name is William Michael Connelly. I have very limited information on him. From a census in 1911 I found he was born in Partick in circa 1861. He had Irish parentage. He moved to Sunderland around 1881. He married Margaret Turley in Sunderland in 1896. He died in 1912 father of 7. I am trying to find his parents, where do I start when I have no details of them. I have found a family living in Govan at this time with a slight change in the spelling of the surname Connolly. Father Peter and Margaret, mother with two daughters. But nothing to confirm this.
Thank you
Hepworth - Yorkshire and Durham, <br />Forster, Thompson, Heatherington- Durham, <br />Harkness and Devlin- Glasgow, <br />Bolton and Smiths Sunderland, <br />Galey, Norfolk and Sunderland. <br />Cory - Heacham Norfolk<br />Connelly - Ireland,<br />Carson - Ireland, <br />McKay, Glasgow and Ireland,<br /> Tait,Ireland<br />Turley, Sunderland and Ireland, Devlin Londonderry Ireland, Higgans, londonderry Ireland, Hamilton, Ireland

CENSUS & BMD INFO IS CROWN COPYRIGHT www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Michael Connelly
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 February 17 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mercel,

Have you found William Michael on earlier Censuses? You say he was in Sunderland from approx. 1881. There is a Scottish William Connely (spelling as transcribed) at Bishop Wearmouth , Durham a 21 year old Iron ship riveter, he is lodging with a family called Frank . Could this be your GGG-grandfather?
Do you have marriage and death certificate. I'm not terribly familiar with English certs , but wondered if they should have father's name recorded  :-\
Looby

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 February 17 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mercel and Looby

Looby, unfortunately, English death certs do not include parents' names of the deceased like Scottish death certs do.

Mercel, we are guessing that William Connelly died in England in 1912? Is that correct? The best way for you to start confirming details for him would be his marriage cert in Sunderland. This would at least give you his father's name to work with.

What about his children's names? Do you have all seven names? Often you can get clues on grandparents' names with the use of Scottish/Irish naming patterns (not always used, but often there to give clues).

Added: Just checking on the GRO indexes shows the following births all in Sunderland, with mother down as Turley:

Michael 1896
John William 1899
Margaret Ann 1901
Thomas Edward 1903
Gregory 1904
Edward 1906
Gertrude May 1908
Edward 1910

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 February 17 22:49 GMT (UK) »
1901 census shows him as aged 50, ie born c. 1851 (10 years earlier than 1911 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWCS-BH3)

Michael Connley 50 ship riveter
Margaret Jane Connley 30
Michael Connley 5
Mary E Connley 4
John W Connley 2
Margaret A Connley 1/12

Monica

Offline Mercel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 February 17 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both. I have three census, 1881 living as you say as a boarder with Frank family aged 21, the 1901 census age seems odd as the 1911 census shows him as 48 and Margaret 32. It is the same person although spellings of surname slightly out. I have all the children's names. I will take your advice and order the marriage cert to see if that could help.
Hepworth - Yorkshire and Durham, <br />Forster, Thompson, Heatherington- Durham, <br />Harkness and Devlin- Glasgow, <br />Bolton and Smiths Sunderland, <br />Galey, Norfolk and Sunderland. <br />Cory - Heacham Norfolk<br />Connelly - Ireland,<br />Carson - Ireland, <br />McKay, Glasgow and Ireland,<br /> Tait,Ireland<br />Turley, Sunderland and Ireland, Devlin Londonderry Ireland, Higgans, londonderry Ireland, Hamilton, Ireland

Offline Mercel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 February 17 00:24 GMT (UK) »
I think I have found him in the 1891 census at the age of 30 still living in the same area, spelling again is different.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 February 17 21:35 GMT (UK) »
I would search for him as C*n*l*y, where you have the option of wildcards to pick up on spelling variations and mistranscriptions.

Hope the marriage registration reveals more  :)

Monica

Offline Mercel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 February 17 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Monica for all your help x

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 February 17 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folks,

Closest I could find in age with differences showing on later census';

CONNELL WILLIAM M
644/6 31/ 21
Blythswood
Lanark

Didn't help though as I did a search for the rest of the household using reference no. & he seems to be on his own, possibly lodging with someone?

CONNELL WILLIAM M
589/ 4/ 15
Dreghorn
Ayr

This household with same ref. no.

CONNELL JOHN 46
CONNELL JEANIE 44
CONNELL JANE MCC H 11
CONNELL ROBERT A 12
CONNELL WILLIAM M 7
CONNELL MARY R M 9

Original of this would give place of birth although possibly only County which may help?

Wouldn't be the 1st time someone has had their place of birth wrong though  ::)

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"