Author Topic: William Michael Connelly  (Read 3685 times)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Michael Connelly
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 02 March 17 16:41 GMT (UK) »
From what I can make out , I'd agree with 9 Knowe Street (dunno if there was such a street in Partick :P ).

Is it worth asking SP if they can enhance the image Monica? I had a similar problem with the cause of death and informant on a death cert last year and enquired if they could clarify. I was astonished at how well the image came out after it was enchanced/rephotographed.

Looby :)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 02 March 17 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Thought I would list the confusing names and ages to try and clear the  muddy water inside my head.

1881 Census - William Connely ship riveter Bishopwearmouth  age 21  birth year circa 1860
1891 Census -  can't find with either name   ???
1896 Marriage - William Michael Connelly  Sunderland           age 32    birth year circa 1864
1901 Census - Michael Connley ship riveter  Bishopwearmouth  age 50 birth year circa 1851
1911 Census- Michael Connelly                       ditto                 age 48  birth year circa 1863
1912 Death - Michael Connelly                                                age 49 birth year circa 1863

Mercel you mention earlier that you have William Michael on the 1891 Census  - can you provide age and the spelling of his surname please....I could not find him :(

Looby

Offline Mercel

• RootsChat Senior
  • John Robert Forster 1892-1913
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 02 March 17 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Oh ladies you are amazing, thank you all so so much for your continued searching. Sorry have been at work so haven't been able to access this. I am if not lost with all your fab work. I am going to have a search at the Sunderland area for a different spelling of Connelly, there seems to be so many different ones. John Connolly in St Joseph's area is still the best to start on for me as I know the area very well. Might be able to source something. I will get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you, I am so so grateful 😀
Loobylooayr yes I agree with those spellings have all the census since 1881 and they have been a nightmare to find. I have him on 1891 census on his own living with a family. I will confirm soelling when I go back to my tree x
Hepworth - Yorkshire and Durham, <br />Forster, Thompson, Heatherington- Durham, <br />Harkness and Devlin- Glasgow, <br />Bolton and Smiths Sunderland, <br />Galey, Norfolk and Sunderland. <br />Cory - Heacham Norfolk<br />Connelly - Ireland,<br />Carson - Ireland, <br />McKay, Glasgow and Ireland,<br /> Tait,Ireland<br />Turley, Sunderland and Ireland, Devlin Londonderry Ireland, Higgans, londonderry Ireland, Hamilton, Ireland

CENSUS & BMD INFO IS CROWN COPYRIGHT www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mercel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 02 March 17 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi the Michael I found living as a lodger in Catherine Street with the Hutton family. Spelling was Connolly. Aged 30 - age is more or less correct. Same profession, riveter.
Hepworth - Yorkshire and Durham, <br />Forster, Thompson, Heatherington- Durham, <br />Harkness and Devlin- Glasgow, <br />Bolton and Smiths Sunderland, <br />Galey, Norfolk and Sunderland. <br />Cory - Heacham Norfolk<br />Connelly - Ireland,<br />Carson - Ireland, <br />McKay, Glasgow and Ireland,<br /> Tait,Ireland<br />Turley, Sunderland and Ireland, Devlin Londonderry Ireland, Higgans, londonderry Ireland, Hamilton, Ireland

Offline Mercel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 02 March 17 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Monica witnesses to Williams marriage were a Frank Green and Ada Mary Turley

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 02 March 17 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi the Michael I found living as a lodger in Catherine Street with the Hutton family. Spelling was Connolly. Aged 30 - age is more or less correct. Same profession, riveter.

Found him !!
On this entry his place of birth has been recorded as England  ::) I was looking for him as being born in Scotland.
So perhaps an error was made by enumerator, or if the Huttons provided the information perhaps they did not know that Michael had been born in Scotland (if indeed he was  :o )

Looby

Offline Mercel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 02 March 17 19:47 GMT (UK) »
On 1891 census it doesn't actually say where he was born. Normally would have DO underneath if born in same town. Box is blank? All the other census say Scotland.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 02 March 17 20:06 GMT (UK) »
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:WVKB-3T2

I am using Familysearch, Mercel. See the link above. Unfortunately I have no access to original Census.
On Familysearch Michael has been transcribed as birthplace England.
However the if the actual Census has no birthplace completed that would suggest the person providing the information didn't know where Michael was from .

Looby

Offline Mercel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 02 March 17 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Monica, I think you could be right with the family Gregory may have been his step dad, possibly the only dad he knew. I think Robert could have died and mother remarried. I will try and find a marriage for Robert and Bridget.
Thanks Loobylooayr I realised that, still  thinking Scotland. It's becoming a saga isn't it 😂😂