Author Topic: Help! Probate disputes and court records.  (Read 1770 times)

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Probate disputes and court records.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 20 February 17 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Have you considered looking in a Kelly's directory or similar for any solicitors called Brittan/Britton around the relevant time?
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Etty81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 20 February 17 11:58 GMT (UK) »
In 1901, William is living at 10 Gayles Street with his first wife Lizzie Martin (nee Carter), General Labourer.

Girl guide, no I hadn't. Do you know how I might go about that? Thanks for the tip.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 20 February 17 12:05 GMT (UK) »
My apologies, you are correct - I looked at the first entry on the page, which was Ewbank Street.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 20 February 17 12:13 GMT (UK) »
You need to find a library that has a copy of Kelly's covering the relevant period and place.

There are online sources but I don't seem to have the knack of putting the right info in the search fields to find what I want!

I'm guessing that you would need one for Durham?  My geography isn't too spectacular!

Google Kelly's directories and see what appears.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Etty81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 20 February 17 12:13 GMT (UK) »
I will, thank you!

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 20 February 17 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi

William Thomas Martin actually left 3 children when he died all born to his first wife the child you did not name is Albert.

He appears to have changed his occupation after 1911 from labourer to greengrocer. It is important to note that his own Father was still alive in 1918 so no money from that source.  His Father, farm worker, died 1929 and left 192 9s 1d. Have you purchased this will? To discover if he named the children of W T M?

Think you are also assuming William owned the property/shop he lived in which is unlikely.
Also when he died he was in the workhouse hospital, if he had a substantial amount of money is this a likely place for him to die?

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline Etty81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 20 February 17 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Spendlove and thank you for your reply. You're right William did leave 3 children. Sorry, I should have mentioned that. The youngest child Frank Martin was 20 days old when his mother died and so was sent to live with his grandparents Richard and Grace Martin and his Aunt Grace in Yarm. He appears on the 1911 census living with them on Yarm High Street and he has done so pretty much his whole life. William Thomas Jnr remarked that he barely knew about his brother until they were reunited later in life as teenagers. Fortunately, Frank was able to rebuild his relationship with both his siblings over the years. William Thomas Martin Snr also reported Frank as living with himself, Florence and William Jnr on the 1911 Census at 7 Winston Street so Frank appears at two different addresses on the same census. It seems highly unlikely that 5 year old Frank popped from Stockton-on-Tees to Yarm on the same day so I'm satisfied that he was living with his grandparents.

Richard Martin, William's father was indeed still alive in 1918. In fact he didn't pass away until 1929 and although I can't back it up yet, I suspect he left his milk business to Florence. You're right though, I need to get a hold of his will next which I'll do asap (provided my baby doesn't arrive! I'm already 3 days overdue!)

I'm willing to agree that there's a good chance he didn't necessarily own his home or shop but even the sum of 234 8s left over in 1928 would have kept him out of the workhouse quite easily. I found a website which suggested that this was the equivalent of about 13,000 today (although I'll happily hold my hands up if that figure is wrong).

William ultimately died from eczema and pulmonary congestion. Having researched the workhouse, I suspect he was admitted to the workhouse hospital because his illness meant he needed to be kept in isolation which was a facility that the workhouse hospitals provided but not necessarily other hospitals in the area. I have another relative on my father's side who was also admitted to a workhouse hospital having succumbed to TB for the same reason.

Thanks again!
V

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 20 February 17 14:25 GMT (UK) »
192 would have bought a semi detached house in 1929, so not exactly a trivial sum, also by then life insurance was becoming popular, often arranged so that it did not come into a deceaseds estate.

Just a thought,

Mike