Author Topic: 1841 census Great Finborough - place?  (Read 1011 times)

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
1841 census Great Finborough - place?
« on: Monday 20 February 17 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone decipher this place in Great Finborough for me please?

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census Great Finborough - place?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 February 17 11:36 GMT (UK) »
For starters, you are looking in the wrong county?

Great Finborough is a parish in Suffolk, about 3 miles SW of Stowmarkert.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 February 17 11:54 GMT (UK) »
The second word is 'city' and if you look at Great Finborough in the 1851 you'll see that there is a place called 'The City'. Not sure what the first word is  :-\
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 February 17 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Jen B

Thanks for the map, that sorts that out!

KGarrard
Yes, it is on the wrong board! This family were in and out of Norfolk and Suffolk every few months so no wonder I cannot keep up with which county they were in.

Gen in NBL  England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Apart from the last letter looking like a 'd' I thought the first word might be "Terrace" as in "(The) Terrace, City (Lane)"

There is a long thin building on the right hand side of the lane (nearest Hill Farm) which looks typical of a terrace of farm workers cottages. All the buildings at this kink in the lane are no longer there, the land now appearing to be a copse and/or incorporated into the adjoining fields. This isn't that unusual - as fewer people were needed to work on the farms the old cottages were simply demolished. As many were built from clay lump or adobe it doesn't take long for the remains to vanish.

Whether the last letter is a 'd' I'm not entirely sure. If it is, then the word looks like 'Termed' to me - as in 'Termed City' (i.e. locally called 'City'). but I don't think I've ever seen the word 'termed' used on a census in that way before.

Any entries before or after might give a bit of a clue.

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Nick

That's interesting about the cottages disappearing fast. I saw that rectangular copse of trees on Google Earth.

Strange that 4 houses and two ponds ends up being called City! Maybe it's a corruption of another name.

Gen in NBL England

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 18:08 GMT (UK) »

It's hard to tell from the map but I think it possible there were as many as 10 dwellings in the 4 buildings, but still nowhere near a city!

The maps don't always show the boundaries between the properties as, quite often, there would be no physical boundary on the ground. My gran's garden boundary was a grass path which she and her neighbour both used to access the vegetable gardens either side - you didn't need a fence to keep the neighbours kids out - we knew it was the boundary and didn't stray across  ;D

The ponds were often where the clay was dug out to build the house - when no longer needed for water supply they often became dumps for all kinds of rubbish, I spent many happy childhood hours digging bottles and marmalade jars out of such dumps  :)

I did wonder about the City name. It could be a bit of Suffolk humour, but possibly a corruption of a name of a family or something similar.

Not sure if you noticed, but if you follow City Lane northwards past Hill Farm you get to "Nan True's Hole". I'm not even going to try to speculate what that might be about  :-[

Offline The Yokel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 19:59 GMT (UK) »
They had the same thing (The City) at Barsham near Beccles

http://maps.nls.uk/view/114497017