Author Topic: Llanbadarn Vawr marriage records, Mary Palfrey  (Read 5106 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Llanbadarn Vawr marriage records, Mary Palfrey
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 17:40 GMT (UK) »
i can't work it out either  :-\

It would be worth you putting it up on the Deciphering board:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/handwriting-deciphering-recognition/

There are some good handwriting experts there.

PS - you'll need to give the image file a different name.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline malijibic

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Will have a go on the deciphering board.
Richard Palfrey was a churchwarden in Llanbadarn Vawr, but I did not check the dates.
Thanks

Offline Liza115

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 10 March 17 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi
My Palfrey ancestors are buried at Llanbadarn Fawr, so I feel compelled to join in.
There's another Mary Palfrey that is a better age to be the wife of Thomas Rowlands, born in the late 1830s/early 1840s in that area, but I don't know if she's the right one. 
I haven't found this Mary Palfrey in any parish records, but she is named in three wills on the National Library of Wales website:
- her uncle's: Richard Palfrey, of Llanbister, dated 1741. He names two daughters of his sister-in-law, Hester/Ester Palfrey: Mary and Hester, and mentions his brother John Palfrey.
- her grandmother's: Mary Palfrey, a widow, of Llanbister, dated 1761. She names four daughters of her daughter Hester/Esther: Mary, Hester, Anne and Elizabeth Palfrey. Her executor is her son-in-law, John Palfrey.
- her father's: John Phalfrey, of Llanbister, dated 1767. He names his four daughters: Mary Phalfrey, Ester James, Anne Phalfrey and Elizabeth Phalfrey.
John Palfrey/Phalfrey married Hester/Ester Palfrey in 1738.
So this Mary had two uncles called Richard Palfrey -- her mother's brother and her father's brother. (This is confirmed by other wills.) The Richard Palfrey who died in 1776, when Mrs Mary Rowlands is named, could be her mother's brother.
This Mary Palfrey seems to be the right age and living in the right area to be Thomas Rowlands' wife. The only thing that doesn't fit is that her father didn't use her married name in his will, which was written in 1767.
The lack of baptismal records for people of Thomas Rowlands' wife's generation means there were probably a lot more Mary Palfreys that we don't know about.
I'll be interested to hear what you find out. Good luck!   
Palfrey - Radnorshire, Wales
Odell - Ontario, Canada
Gilmour - Newton Mearns, Renfrewshire, Scotland
Hare - Ipswich, Suffolk, England and Limerick, Ireland
Price - Antrim, Down, (now Northern) Ireland
Freeman - Waterford and Tramore, Ireland
Taylor - Taunton, Somerset, England
Helyar - Clifton, Bristol, England

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 10 March 17 10:12 GMT (UK) »
There could be patronymics used at that time, Although Radnor was a border county in which the use of the patronymic form didn't last as long as the more westerly counties.  Worth thinking about though.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline malijibic

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 12 March 17 20:47 GMT (UK) »
The Mary I am looking for married Thomas Rowlands of Llangollen in 1762 at Llanbadarn Vawr.
She was the wife of Thomas Rowlands of Llangollen and daughter of Richard Palfrey of Nantmel according to the admin bond in NLW.   
Her first child was born in 1763 and the last in 1779.  I thought that I had found her born 1732 at Casgob, but that would make her 47 when her last child was born.  This Mary has a brother Thomas, b1729 they were the children of Richard Palfrey and Elizabeth his wife. 

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 11:13 GMT (UK) »
May be right. My Mother was 47 when I was born.  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline jillrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 20 March 17 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Don't know if this will help or not but there are a few entries on my website about Palfrey ROWLAND.  They are listed under 'Palfrey'.

www.clwydsurnames.org.uk

Offline malijibic

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 20 March 17 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, will now search for the Llangwm marriage so that I can compare the signature of Palfrey the witness with that of Palfrey, (the Caernarvon butcher,)my gggggrandfather
Diolch