Author Topic: Tunnel workers killed on the Lochaber Water Power Scheme 1920s/1930s  (Read 6133 times)

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • J W L BRISCOE 72nd Highlanders
    • View Profile
Re: Tunnel workers killed on the Lochaber Water Power Scheme 1920s/1930s
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 June 17 18:46 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am trying to trace information about the explosion that killed my husband's grandfather in Lochaber tunnels in 1929. His name was James Patrick Alexander Mackin and he lived in Fort William, where he is buried at the Ben Nevis cemetry

This is my notes

I will check newspaper archive later
BRISCOE - Bolton, Heaton Norris, Rochdale, Oldham, Chadderton, Blackburn
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
HAMMOND - Quebec, Laverton, Masham, Grantley
SWALES - Laverton, Masham
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw
HARVEY - Trentham, Sheriffhales, Llanfyllin, Llanferres, Minera

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 June 17 18:52 BST (UK) »
News report from the British Newspaper Archive

POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 01 July 17 23:09 BST (UK) »
I had another walk around Glen Nevis Cemetery today, I was not seeing graves from before WWII so wonder if the cemetery only opened in the late 1930s? 

I saw a newspaper reference to a funeral in Tom-eas-an-t-slinnean so wondering if that was still in use through the 1930s.  I will have a walk around and see if I can see many graves from that period.

MB
O'Shea - Quebec

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 July 17 23:11 BST (UK) »
I had a walk around Tom-eas-an-t-slinnean Burial Ground today, there are graves around 1920s and 1930s but mainly Camerons and no sign of any from the tunnels and dams.

O'Shea - Quebec

Offline healyjfch

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 09 July 17 09:52 BST (UK) »
The Irish census gives religious denomination of individuals.
If you trace back the individuals who were killed, you may be able to find likely cemetery that they were buried in. Most people are buried in graves of their denomination.
Some families may have brought their loved ones home for burial.

How many were employed on Lochaber Water Power Scheme ?

Jfch

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 09 July 17 11:38 BST (UK) »
The Irish census gives religious denomination of individuals.
If you trace back the individuals who were killed, you may be able to find likely cemetery that they were buried in. Most people are buried in graves of their denomination.
Some families may have brought their loved ones home for burial.

How many were employed on Lochaber Water Power Scheme ?

Jfch

Not sure on numbers, must see if I see any mention of it - see attachment.

Denomination probably does not help much at that time.  Cille Chorill is a RC church and as I mentioned there is a note of 35 tunnel workers buried there but only two marked and no record of names.  I have seen newspaper reports of people from Central Scotland being returned home for burial.  I have had a walk around several local burial grounds looking at names or dates from that period but not spotted any.  Possible single men away from home had unmarked graves or just wooden markers which have long gone.  I can't imagine many being returned to Ireland for burial but it is possible.

Never heard any suggestion that any were buried near the construction camps as happened with Kinlochleven.

O'Shea - Quebec

Offline jimmyg8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I am researching the death of my great uncle James Gallagher who died on 22nd January 1932. I think this might be him. Do you have any information that might be of help.

The Scotsman Midlothian, Scotland
22 Jan 1932
EXPLOSION IN LOCHABER
.Man Killed : Four Injured TUNNELLING ACCIDENT The new tunnel being driven through a mountain-spur for tho purposo of diverting tho waters of Locli Laggan into Loch Trcig ~ in connection with' the Lochaber hy

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Just going out to do some errands, I will have a look when I get back.  I made a few notes if I found the deaths on ScotlandPeople but I don't think I printed many out.

The information was often sparse though.

There is a note on the plan of Cille Choirill that reads (something like) 35 tunnellers buried here.  There are a lot of "humps and bumps" in that part of the burial ground, someone had a poke around and found two plaques with names on. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/doffcocker/albums/72157680581164805

There is also one headstone there for someone from South Uist.

I have looked around the other local graveyards and not spotted any others.  I suspect that anyone from Central Scotland (as many were, including Irish workers) would be returned home for burial - if they had any family.

There is also a memorial in Kilmallie Churchyard but no one knows anything about it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/doffcocker/albums/72157652306456671

There has been talk in Roybridge and Spean Bridge about the possibility of putting up some sort of commemorative plaque or board, to commemorate those who died during the construction.

O'Shea - Quebec

Offline jimmyg8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Martin. There is a headstone on Arranmore Island Co Donegal but whether it is a marker or grave I do not know. I can tie his death to 21st Jan 1932 but not yet to Lochaber Water power scheme.