Author Topic: George (William) Thompson supposedly died in SASK, Canada in 1905  (Read 8795 times)

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
George (William) Thompson supposedly died in SASK, Canada in 1905
« on: Tuesday 21 February 17 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Dear Sir or Ma'am:

I am not an expert when it comes to Canadian records or Canada.

I just was informed that my great great grandfather George Thompson who was born in 1843 in Richmond, Yorkshire died in SASK in 1905. His second wife Mary née Storey died there in 1935.

I am wondering if the vital records index there is incomplete or it is complete.

I have no way of knowing if the death records are correct or not?

CAD$50 is a bit steep for a death certificate!  :o

I would appreciate any help. I am wondering who did they (the couple) went with?

What years are the censuses in Canada?

Thanks!

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: George (William) Thompson supposedly died in SASK, Canada in 1905
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 20:38 GMT (UK) »
New information: Just found out a bit more looking at a Saskatchewan family history book: it says Margaret Story Thom(p)son moved to Saskatchewan with her daughters Margaret, Polly, Miria, Martha, and Hilda as well as sons Joe and George. They farmed in Balcarres, Saskatchewan Canada. Sarah came with her mother to Canada in 1902 and moved to Saskatchewan in 1905.

It sounds like George Thompson died in England, not in Canada? Your thoughts?

I am waiting for more information from my Thompson relatives. Surprised that the surname changed to Thomson??

All the information tallied with my side---especially 1901 Census I have on this family. One bonus is that they confirmed that there were TWO sons.

I do hope someone could help me with this Canadian side to see if he did die in Canada or in England.

I think it is odd since he was not in any burial indexes up in Yorkshire--he was not buried with his first wife.

I am still puzzled as to why Thompson relatives said he died in 1905? But he was not with the family as mentioned?

Looking forward to hear from your input and expertise on Canadian side. The question here is the emigration records reliable?

Thanks again!!!

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 01:54 GMT (UK) »
A book on Ituna-Hubbard area of Saskatchewan has a write-up on Joseph Thompson and wife Eleanor Bertha Ditch.  Joseph born Oct 25, 1880 Yorkshire.  Came to Canada in 1901 and went first to Sanford, Manitoba crossed the border to North Dakota for work and then back to Estevan Saskatchewan.  Parents had also settled in Sanford Manitoba and he applied for a Homestead in the Tullymet area of Saskatchewan for his mother when he moved to the Balcarres area in 1904. 

Father died before mother moved to area.  Most likely George died in Manitoba.  Sanford is in the Rural Municipality of MacDonald.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 01:57 GMT (UK) »
A George Thompson died in 1906 in Manitoba aged 70.  The place of death is MacDonald.  I believe the cost of a death certificate is only $12.00.

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 02:04 GMT (UK) »
My George Thompson was born in 1843. Won't that be a bit off if the age is different? Do we know for certain he did came to Canada?

How are we sure about this is the ONE? The reason I ask is that there is no record of his second wife died in 1935 in SASK?

Many thanks for your help!!! I will send for the death certificate since the cost is reasonable!

If it is the right one, I would love to treat you to a pint. :)

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 04:45 GMT (UK) »
http://www.ourroots.ca/page.aspx?id=1046934&qryID=47bbc43e-a94c-4779-89d1-3b587751fe88

Link to book entry on Joseph Thompson.  British census does show George Thompson's son born in Yarm.  It also appears that George's wife shows up on British census as Margaret from 1881 to 1891 and only in 1901 is she enumerated as Mary.  There is a Dec 1876 Guisbro' 9d 1022 marriage between Margaret Storey and George Thompson.

This ties in with 1921 census for Tullymet, Saltcoats, Sask.
Joseph Thompson 40 born 1881 England emigrated 1902 with wife Eleanor Bertha 30.
Children George William (7), Margaret Storey (5), Henry Ditch (4) and Eleanor May (2).  Also in household is Margaret Thompson, widow, 76 born England, emigrated 1903.  Shown as mother-in-law which probably means Eleanor gave the information and used her relationship to her rather than the head of the house - Joseph.

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 05:01 GMT (UK) »
Cosmac,

Awesome! I am impressed that there is a lot of information in that book! It answered my question as to how they managed to become farmers!

All the information is correct and tied in with what I have on this family. That 1901 England Census is correct.

Sorry for George Thompson as he did not get to live out his life in a new country.

Thank you SO MUCH for the quick reply! I will send for the death certificate. As soon as I get it, you will be the first person to know!

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 05:26 GMT (UK) »
Love the books published by ourroots.  They are invaluable in searching for family since so much is protected by privacy laws in Canada. Hopefully the Manitoba death proves to be yours.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Parisian leaving Liverpool arriving Halifax 18 Dec 1903. On board Margaret Thompson 50 and children Maria 21, Mary 18, Martha 11, Hila 11, George 9.  Born Yorkshire and destination Winnipeg.