Author Topic: George (William) Thompson supposedly died in SASK, Canada in 1905  (Read 8832 times)

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George (William) Thompson supposedly died in SASK, Canada in 1905
« Reply #45 on: Monday 27 February 17 15:50 GMT (UK) »
A marriage took place in Winnipeg 16/01/1907 between a MarthaThompson and Jerome Harris.  Couldn't see them in any further documentation yesterday.
This morning I looked at family trees on ancestry and saw that someone has this Margaret Thompson with your parents married to J.E. Harris.  She then marries Asa Wilson 2 Dec 1916 in Lincoln South Dakota and on the census she is enumerated in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.  Her date of death is given as 30 Nov 1979 in Washington, D.C.  Daughters Hester Margaret born 1911 and Lorna Irene 1917-1991.  Haven't followed this information by looking at documents.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 27 February 17 17:02 GMT (UK) »

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 27 February 17 17:56 GMT (UK) »
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MKPB-FST
1910 census for J.E. Harris, Martha and Hester M.
J.E. Harris born Maryland
1930 Census for Sioux Falls Hester M. and Lorna are enumerated with the Low family.  Hester is shown as being born in Indiana and her father born Maryland.

E.J. Harris died @42 7/24/1917 Lincoln South Dakota

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 27 February 17 18:32 GMT (UK) »
http://memorial.obittree.com/obituary/us/michigan/holland/lakeshore-memorial-services-inc/margaret-i-geegh/44327/
Obituary for Margaret Geegh - sister to Raymond and aunt of Wilson Geegh.  1940 census for Washington shows Hester M with husband Raymond and young son Wilson.

Hester died in Jan 1984 and is buried in Illinois. 

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=geegh&GSfn=hester&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSob=n&GRid=118866002&df=all&

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 27 February 17 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cosmac,

Fascinating trove of information you found!

I asked for your advice or opinion regarding Margaret Thompson nee Storey's "disappearance" between 1911 and 1921 censuses. I am trying to understand this.

I was able to find her sons in 1916 on the same census page in the same area (I meant the actual census papers but both of you were a big help with using Family.org---I am using it now). But, where is she? I thought she had a homestead which was applied by her son Joe as stated in the family history you so kindly found for me.

Or is it same with my maternal great grandfather who I could not find in 1900 US census? Some names were badly transcribed or pages missing?

Or that Margaret Thompson nee Storey went back to England to visit her family?  Tonight I will have to find that census I think I have on her to see names of her siblings. Same with Jane Ann Calvert---she appeared to fall off as well. But, MaureeninNY found her with her husband and a child in 1921 Canada Census. (That means I will have to wait for a free trial subscription or to save up a bit of money to purchase a monthly subscription.)

Again, thank you so much for wonderful information. By the way, the link on Wilson only takes me to Ancestry.com, is that right?

Thanks,

Tees

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 27 February 17 19:38 GMT (UK) »
The link for Wilson obituary was from an ancestry page.  I take it you can't access it?

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=ebner&GSiman=1&GScid=49269&GRid=49177160&

Lorna Irene (nee Wilson) is buried with husband John at Arlington National Cemetery as he served in WWII.
His obituary
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/washingtonpost/obituary.aspx?n=john-ebner&pid=18424868

As to where Margaret is on census dates.  Some names are as you say horribly mangled and hard to pull up on a name search.  Some are missing for whatever reason.  On the 1921 census I know some relatives of my husband were residing in a specific area but even going through the census page by page couldn't locate them. 

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 27 February 17 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Wilson obit

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 27 February 17 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the obituary on Martha Wilson, Cosmac! Lived to 91---quite a milestone! Is it normal for the obituary to omit the date of death? Most obituaries I read usually include that information.

Will be in touch with you soon with the information I have on Thompsons back in England. I think I do have a census on Margaret Storey's family. Hope I do have it.

Thanks again!!

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 27 February 17 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Tees, you might check if your local public library subscribes to Ancestry Library Edition. This should give access to most records, but not family trees, if I remember correctly.

The Manitoba Vital Stats index has a marriage in RM Macdonald for a Maria Thompson to a Frederick Keisig, 07/04/1904. Perhaps another daughter's marriage?

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada